Super Eleven II issues, please help

Sorry, I haven't had much time to work on this project lately.
Without the jumpers, there is no hum.
I will order the large filter caps. I look at prints and see what others will need to be replaced. It appears that there are 14 electrolytics on the power amp board.
There are 15 electrolytics on the control amp that I may go ahead and replace.

I noticed that many of these caps are smaller in physical size. Also, any recommendations for specs. I tried to purchase hi temp(panasonic and nichicon) for power supply board but for power amp and control amp, would there be any special requirements???

Also, I may go back and verify voltages. I will post findings if they deviate much from initial check.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to remove the two large 12000uf caps and am looking but all I find are snap in since these are the other subject in the linked post, I guess I will take my chances. I will make them work somehow.
As far as the 33v regulator. I will have to look further as I am tired and stuff is starting to run together. Thank you again for help. I will keep you posted on progress. Just not much time lately.

I have every electrolytic cap remaining in my cart but have not placed order yet. Do you recommend I just replace them all or start by just ordering the large filter caps? Also, should I buy extra caps to possibly use for other projects or do you find that you usually just end up with stuff you can't use??? Thanks and I plan to finish this project within next two weeks as I will be off from work then. Thanks.

Last edited:
For right now, I'd order what you need to get the job done. I'd probably also order a new 33V 1/2W zener, (1N5257B), and a new pass transistor (MJE15032G), both for the 33V regulator. One step at a time...take care of the immediate issue before you jump into the deep water.

Crimping and soldering uninsulated ring terminals on the snap-in lugs makes soldering them up a lot easier (I assume the originals are not soldered to the PC board?) Something like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/32186/A28287-ND/333485

Last edited:
First, let me apologize for just getting this stuff ordered but I had more projects that arose during my vacation. Now, I have the order on the way. I will post back up when I get everything installed. Or, I will just try caps first. I do see the zener diode (Dk7)on the power supply board but is that the regulator? Also, which transistor is this that I ordered? QK5??? Maybe I am not looking at the regulator? Thanks again and sorry if all of this seems so basic.

Bill

Last edited:
Yes, the 33V zener (Dk7) and Qk5 form a simple regulator. 51V in, and about 33V out.

ok. Thanks for clarifying. I will let you know once I get those caps in. That should be no problem other than trying to mount them since the new ones will be so much smaller. I can solder the ring terminals on and purchased screw type caps which should be easy to work with.

I finally got parts in yesterday after calling mouser. They said first package must have been lost and promptly replaced it. Installed caps, hum is still present. Just to clarify, I only replaced the two large 63v 12000 caps. Is that the only caps for now??? I will replace Zener and transistor this afternoon and report back.

Last edited:
I replaced the diode and no help but after replacing Q5, hum is gone! So, I still need to verify other functions, clean scratchy balance up, and replace a few lamps, check out the Dolby section but this thing sounds good. Thanks for all the help.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom