micntosh MA5100 vs. kenwood kr9400

msh1999

hi all
im looking for a new vintage amp and these 2 are the best option for me right now...

i really like integrated amp sound, that's why i never thought on going on micntosh, but after i saw that the 5100 is a integrated so i thought that it might be a good option...

i don't like really warm sound tube sound, more on the natural fast sound man.
but since its mec that got "that sound" that alot of people love

so the question is: the MA5100 got clear highs good detail and more integrated
sound, or its still got the normal mec sound.

i don't like really warm sound tube sound, more on the natural fast sound man. but since its mec that got "that sound" that alot of people love

If you mean the 'synthetic' sound and canned studio drums etc. for a 'fast' response say in bass speakers (not talking subs) fast tempo? That's your speakers coil xover on the bass and usually being 'delayed' and not so much more accentuated mids for transitions. that's why boom boxes came out. sorry very poor example but they were fast response.

Now synthetic reproduction from a vintage to a pc or pc to vintage is another story. Yamaha made some nice AV's with natural sound that do synthetic recording quite well on it's own in FM and other inputs for the 'new sound'. Onkyo came out with several amps for synth. quality reproduction, too.

Hope it helps.

The MA 5100 beats most anything Trio-Kenwood made (and Trio-Kenwood has made some amplifiers I like). However, it likely is not your kind of sound. So, the Kenwood would serve you better.

my English isn't the best so im not sure i understand what the you wrote there bikman
but as i said these are the best option i got right now.

better then all trio stuff?? including the KA9300\KA9100?
if so i have to try this amp anyway ._.

Last edited:
BTW my speakers are infinity kappa 70, KLH model 6, morel solan
if anyone got experience with those speakers with one of the amps pls tell me :)

KLH 6 is a natural match for the MA 5100. The Infinity Kappa 70 would be better with the Kenwood amplifier. and the Morel would be better powered with the MA 5100. Welcome to AK, you are among friends.

ty :)

you saying it from looking at the specs of the speakers? because should be really powerfully and will be more then enough for the kappa. i saw people say that its better then 100W amps (vintage amp watts of course :)

The MA 5100 beats most anything Trio-Kenwood made (and Trio-Kenwood has made some amplifiers I like).
Well, I guess you'd have to count me among the dissenters. I can easily admire the build quality of most Mac gear, but your statement dismisses some awfully good stuff that I'd put up against anything Mac made in the same time period.

As slow as Kenwood was to incorporate newer circuit topology into their designs, Mac was nearly stone-age even in the later 70's years, still using things like fixed bias and C-R-C filters for preamp stages.

The 9400 was the TOTL for a spell, and is a very nice unit. I'd not hesitate to compare it to anything you like.

Well, I guess you'd have to count me among the dissenters. I can easily admire the build quality of most Mac gear, but your statement dismisses some awfully good stuff that I'd put up against anything Mac made in the same time period.

As slow as Kenwood was to incorporate newer circuit topology into their designs, Mac was nearly stone-age even in the later 70's years, still using things like fixed bias and C-R-C filters for preamp stages.

The 9400 was the TOTL for a spell, and is a very nice unit. I'd not hesitate to compare it to anything you like.
i have the kenwood KA405 right now and it sound really "loud" with the speakers so im kinda afraid from the KR9400 (although it suppose to sound natural but still...)
that's why i want to try McIntosh...

anyone here heard the KA405 and the MA5100\KR9400? that will really help me to decide.

I have to say, the ka-9100 is the nicest integrated amp I've listened to. Don't count out kenwood. They were not marketed like pioneer was on purpose:thmbsp:

And EchoWars, among my favorite Trio-Kenwood and Kenwood products many of them have to do with RF, where you come in. And not just tuners either. Kenwood makes some really fine Land Mobile and Amateur two way gear too. And there's a Kenwood integrated and receiver or two I really have a soft spot for. So, I do love good Kenwood, but it must be of the tubed or discrete kind.

guys the mec is down, its now the KR9400 vs. sansui 8080DB
im looking for the most open airy detailed sound, something that will match "new speakers" the best...
pls pls pls help.

Back
Top Bottom