Kenwood Kr-6400 Quad?

ilovelamp

Hey! Iv been wondering if anyone knows what the Quadrophonic input/output is for located on the back of Kenwood Kr-6400s. I own one and was wondering what type of external adaptor or decoder was made for this amp? What do they do, how much do they cost, where could I find one and was it made by ken wood or another company or does that even matter? Im a bit clueless and would like to get into quad sound yet I know little about it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

The KR-6400 is a stereo receiver from 1975. The quadraphonic jacks are for the addition of an external quad adaptor, not necessarily Kenwood. Essentially, it's another tape loop, similar to what you'd use for an equalizer. Kenwood's specs describe it as "4 channel ready". What you have is a nice stereo receiver, but that's about it.

There are several types of quad, and quad adaptors. The simplest type takes the stereo signal, extracts surround sound information, sends that to an external amplifier, and returns (most of) the original signal to the front. These are called QS or RM adaptors, and quite a few different companies made them. SQ is another type of quad, as is CD4 (which takes ore equipment, and special records).

The most basic thing is that you'd need an amplifier for the rear channels. Several companies made quad adaptors with amplifiers built-in for the rear channels. Google "Sansui quad" and you'll see quite a few.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is a Sansui QS-1 Quadphonic Synthesizer will allow me to listen to quadrophonic sound without the need of a dedicated quad turntable and quad needle through my current amplifiers adaptor slot. If you are familiar with this about how much would this cost me and where would be my best bet to find it?

Thanks again for everything!

...Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is a Sansui QS-1 Quadphonic Synthesizer will allow me to listen to quadrophonic sound without the need of a dedicated quad turntable and quad needle through my current amplifiers adaptor slot. If you are familiar with this about how much would this cost me and where would be my best bet to find it?

Thanks again for everything!

No, you'll need more than that. For synthesized quad sound, besides a QS-1 you'll need another two channel amplifier and another pair of speakers. This will allow you to play QS encoded records, as well as SQ-encoded records, and get a surround effect from regular stereo records. It won't do a thing for CD-4 records.

The QS-1 is a very basic first generation unit, but can still give a pleasing effect. As far as where to find one, I have no clue. You might ask for recommendations in the Sansui forum. You might also ask about the Sansui quad synthesizer with a built-in 2 channel amp. Good luck!

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Back
Top Bottom