C48 on the way.......arrives Monday!!

kevzep

Its all about the Music
Yep, so I found one for a good price which was only 2months old in California.

I am naturally crapping myself as it makes its way here from California, praying it will arrive undamaged......:yikes:

I learned that the C48 voltage settings not able to be changed in the field, it involves changing the transformer.

from the owners manual

Power Requirements
Field AC Voltage conversion of the C48 is not possible. The C48 is factory configured for one of the following AC Voltages:
100 Volts, 50/60Hz at 30 watts
110 Volts, 50/60Hz at 30 watts
120 Volts, 50/60Hz at 30 watts
220 Volts, 50/60Hz at 30 watts
230 Volts, 50/60Hz at 30 watts
240 Volts, 50/60Hz at 30 watts
Standby Power, less than 0.5 watts
Note: Refer to the rear panel of the C48 for the correct voltage.

So I am stuck with it in 120V. But that's OK I have a couple of nice step down transformers, one of which I use to run the C48.

So with this the system is complete......but I will be working on refining the bedroom system, as I had to sell the MC352 to buy the C48......

I think I might get a period amp to match the C40, maybe a MC7300 or possibly a MC7270......
To do this I will move the C32 and MC2205, I already have a buyer lined up.....

Well, exciting times ahead, and I can't wait to report on the C48 performance......

Congratulations Kev ! - looking forward to hearing the safe arrival news, and your comments on performance :thmbsp:

Congrats Kev. :thmbsp:

I sure don't envy what people in other parts of the world have to go through before even so much as flipping the power switch. :sigh:

I'm sure it will sound great.

Congratulations Kev ! - looking forward to hearing the safe arrival news, and your comments on performance :thmbsp:

Thanks John, yep nervous times, but those McIntosh shipping cartons are very legendary at keeping the gear safe, so should be fine.....

I'm going to shop for a MC cartridge too, I've always wanted to go down that road, and the C48 makes that possible....

Congrats Kev. :thmbsp:

I sure don't envy what people in other parts of the world have to go through before even so much as flipping the power switch. :sigh:

I'm sure it will sound great.

Yeah, there's always some amount of fiddling around.......
The owner miss-quoted the shipping costs, and I had to pay a bit more, so he threw in some exotic power cable with it....
He assures me it will further enhance the performance......

Well, I thought it was a nice gesture......

This time it will be a case of just plugging it in, I have the transformer here ready to go so this will be one time it comes out of the box and straight into service....:thmbsp:

I understand McIntosh make the voltage country specific now to try to force people to use local dealers....
But it doesn't always work, the retail prices are so ridiculous here in NZ, you'll pay twice the US list price to buy locally......
And to make it worse, there is no dealer here at the moment and unlikely to be for the next 6-12months......

I have landed this C48 all inclusive for 50% of what it would have cost IF I could have bought a C48 here......
They had a price for one, but told me they couldn't order any stock until the dealership situation had been resolved......I'm not waiting 6-12 months to pay double!!

Well, its all in the past.....and the C48 is on the way Wooooooo.......:thmbsp:

I'm going to shop for a MC cartridge too, I've always wanted to go down that road, and the C48 makes that possible....

he threw in some exotic power cable with it....
He assures me it will further enhance the performance......
Worth giving the MC cart a try. I have a Dynavector 20*2L and like it a lot. I pair it with the C34V and a step up transformer, but I should also really try it with the C2300 just for comparison sakes.

I'm not biting with the "exotic power cable" and getting into a cable debate ;)

I'm also really nervous with shipping of Mac gear.

To add to.your excitement I absolutely love my c48. I never thought a phone stage could sound this.good in a preamp.

Congrats on an excellent pre-amp! With the Krone at it's all time high, it probably pays off buying directly from the U.S.

Let us know how things work out.

The C-40 was built through 98 as were the MC300 and MC150. So the MC300 would be my choice to go with the C40. That is unless I could find a 352 on the cheap.

hey...it's 2:56AM on Wednesday in New Zealand...did it arrive safely?

:D

Douglas

Next Monday......:D

Congrats on an excellent pre-amp! With the Krone at it's all time high, it probably pays off buying directly from the U.S.

Let us know how things work out.

Yes, very favourable exchange rate at the moment.....

The C-40 was built through 98 as were the MC300 and MC150. So the MC300 would be my choice to go with the C40. That is unless I could find a 352 on the cheap.

Yes, I was looking at the manufacture date of the MC7300 and it only overlaps slightly with the C40......
I think I would be happy with the MC7300 though, you can get them at a nice price, although I am not in a hurry so the MC300 could be a real possibility.......Or maybe my JBL L7's might like a direct coupled MC7200?? food for thought....
We'll see how it works out........

Update, is its been delayed in customs as there is a problem with the paperwork the seller filled out....
It's to do with the value of the item being over $1000NZ......and some kind of code of compliance for importation which should have been filled out by the sender.....

The local office told me it could take up to a week to sort it out..........They also said if it cannot be resolved I may even lose the item all together....

Not the news I wanted to hear.......:thumbsdn:

We have VERY tough customs laws in New Zealand, and they change them all the time, this is all new to me......Oh well......:sigh:

Hope you get your preamp in the end! The laws sound very strict if they can just take the item away for incorrect paperwork.

Hope you get your preamp in the end! The laws sound very strict if they can just take the item away for incorrect paperwork.

Well I called them back because I did not like hearing the words "you may lose your item"......

It seems after this phone call, they managed to find the right box to tick to allow me to go ahead with the importation of the C48.

I don't think the seller completed the customs declaration properly, and they thought I was some kind of business trying to pull off some dodgy import.

However, after I explained it was a private sale, the goods were for private use, then everything calmed down.....

What a fiasco.......I have never had any problems like this before bringing an item into the country before......

So the long and the short of it is, YES you can have items confiscated for incorrect paperwork, but also, if you're nice over the phone, it seems they can make reasonable deductions and use their discretion.....

So I should have it in the next few days....

It's bad enough keeping fingers crossed as it is, hoping a piece arrives safely, let alone the added hurdle of being at the mercy of a seller's ability to complete export documents properly and having to contend with the customs bureaucracy if he doesn't.

If you push comes to shove my uncle owns an import/export company and has always been able to do the right thing to get items released for our company. I hope it works out for you. If you need any assistance I can give you his contact information.

Back
Top Bottom