Weight of Zenith MN2670 or x960 Console

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
My girlfriend bought me a vintage Zenith stereo console for Christmas. She bought it from the original owner. I'm not 100% certain, but based on the photos, I think it's a MN2670 model from around 1965. Perhaps someone familar with these models could confirm. Here's some photos:

zenith_6.jpg

zenith_2.jpg

zenith_3.jpg

zenith_1.jpg

zenith_4.jpg

zenith_5.jpg

I've been able to find the dimensions of these units online, but not the weight. I need to know the weight to get a shipping quote. So, does anyone have the original weight specs on these models, or perhaps know the weight of your comparable mid-1960s Zenith TOTL console in the mid-century modern style cabinet?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have one that had to be at least 300 lbs. It had the 25" TV in it. I took it out and its TV electronics thinking it would lighten it up. I suppose it did, but when your talking close to 300lbs., 50 or so lbs less doesn't feel like much help when you lift it. Shipping will cost you an armload. These Zeniths were built extremely solid. Good luck. My unit is pictured here (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83729) in the 4th post.

Last edited:
Ah, thats the one I want. I want one with dead electronics though, so I can re-stuff it with a bunch of glass. Absolutely love that cabinet though.

Ah, thats the one I want. I want one with dead electronics though, so I can re-stuff it with a bunch of glass. Absolutely love that cabinet though.

This one has good electronics. The original owner has had it periodically serviced over the years and has the receipts and service records. I'm not sure what all he's had done, I may still have to replace the caps myself, but my girlfriend says everything works and it sounds great.

In addition to playing my vintage vinyl collection, I also plan to hook it up to the audio ouputs of my flat screen TV. That's how this all started. I mounted the TV on the wall in my loft a month ago and began looking for some type of media console to place below the TV and house the electronics. I looked at all the media furniture at Ikea, Dania, Room and Board, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm, etc., but nothing jumped out at me. They all looked pretty much the same. Then, I started looking at classic mid-century modern buffets and credenzas and that led me to these classic Zenith console stereos. I'm going to furnish the entire loft in MCM furniture. Not only is this Zenith console a great looking piece of period furniture, being a TOTL model, it also has great speakers and electronics. It's perfect and exactly what I wanted.

Usually shipping is rounded off upwards and size... Just call any shipper in the locale and to and from destination to get an estimate yeah.. uh.. turntable securing that/ packaging.. then insurance... "oh darling".....

Not being damper or scrooge but if all else, and the gift is ideal! You may just have something a little closer to home if the shipping is just costing too much.

Last edited:
Usually shipping is rounded off upwards and size... Just call any shipper in the locale and to and from destination to get an estimate yeah.. uh.. turntable securing that/ packaging.. then insurance... "oh darling".....

Not being damper or scrooge but if all else, and the gift is ideal! You may just have something a little closer to home if the shipping is just costing too much.

I'm going to post a listing on uship to see what kind of quotes I get. If it's too expensive, we have other options. We can wait and load it on the Uhaul when she moves out here later this year. She has some large furniture she wants to bring and my sister is giving me her Boyhill Brasilia dining room set she won at a raffle in 1962. Of course, she want's me to have it now, but I can wait if the shipping is too expensive.

Got pics of your new Broyhill?

I don't have pics of the exact pieces. It's been in my sister's basement since they built their "new" house in 1974. She has one of these buffets:

brasilia+petite+buffet+015.jpg

Plus a table, four side chairs and two arm chairs.

I'd also like to find a pair of these commodes:

il_fullxfull.276219869.jpg

to use as end tables/record storage.

Those would be perfect. I've kept my eyes open locally for the record storage cabinets from back in the day but have yet to score. Finding pairs would be very difficult but they have to be out there somewhere.

This one has good electronics. The original owner has had it periodically serviced over the years and has the receipts and service records. I'm not sure what all he's had done, I may still have to replace the caps myself, but my girlfriend says everything works and it sounds great.

I just don't want the stock electronics. I want a cabinet that I can re-fit with tube electronics and a better changer. I have a hard time taking things apart though, so it would have to be something thats already dead. I can't quite bring myself to take apart things that work.

Do these tube hybrids say Solid State somewhere on these units. My '67 unit says solid state on the tuner and it is all solid state except the tv which of course still had tubes all through its chassis.
I haven't listened to mine in decades, well at least one. I loved it growing up when mom and dad would go out for the evening cause I would jam and DX with it. I would switch the tv wire to the fm and listen to stations I never heard before. I should put it on the rotor sometime and see just how good it really was or is. Although its been moved around and jarred quite a bit from 40+ years ago till now.

Well, my Christmas present was just delivered. I'm listening to it right now. Here's some crappy cell phone pics that don't do it justice.

Zenith_1_cell_phone.jpg

Zenith_2_cell_phone.jpg

Zenith_3_cell_phone.jpg

It looks much better in person. The walnut has a deeper brown color with beautiful grain. I'll try to get some better photos in the next few days.

The tuner sounds great and those 15" woofers really kick out the bass. It looks like the Presence lamp is burned out, and the pots could use a little cleaning - they're not bad, but could be better.

This is definitely a keeper. Best Christmas present from the best girlfriend ever!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom