Yamaha Pecking Order?

StimpyWan

Addicted Member
I've always liked Yamaha equipment. But, I've only owned Yamaha home theater pieces; RX-V990 & DDP-1, DSP-A3090, and a RX-V3000. All sound very good and still function without issue. I guess I like the A/V units, since they're a bit like DAC/Pre's. Good all-in-one units. As such, I've been wondering, what's the Yamaha pecking order for best sound quality? Which separates were the best? Which receivers, 2 channel or surround? Just curious, as I'm thinking about finding a Yamaha preamp, to use with a few amps that I have around, but I don't want to loose any sound quality to what I have! Or would using the preamp outputs, on what I have now, be equal to a top Yamaha preamp?

Thanks! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
well i'm sure someone will correct me or have a differing opinion, but i usually go by the THD measurement to gague the accuracy of new pieces of gear.

i'm a computer guy - i have to read the specs. i'm sure it's best to audition things, but then it's often difficult to arrange a real audition, especially a true a-b comparison

This might help with your spec comparison, particularly if you're considering vintage receivers. It's a test report I got with my CR 800 receiver, for the actual unit:

Rated Power: 45W
(Into 8 ohms RMS per channel)

THD @ Rated Power Left: 0.01 Right: 0.01
(Both channels Driven at 1000Hz)

Max Power @ 1% THD: Left: 68W Right: 68W
(Both channels driven at 1000Hz)

Signal to Noise Ratio: Left: 90db Right: 91 db

Frequency and Balance Check 20Hz: Left -0.6db Right: -0.5db
(Referenced at 1000Hz)

Frequency and Balance Check 20KHz: Left: -0.1 db Right: -o.2db
(Referenced at 1000Hz)

FM Sensitivity: Better than 2.0 MV
(Mono)

FM THD: Left: 0.05 Right: 0.05
(1000 uV at 1000Hz)

FM Stereo Separation: Left: 46db Right: 46 db
(1000uV at 1000Hz)

It's tough to go wrong with any of the Yamaha 2 channel units, especially the earlier ones.

The biggest difference between them is the output power and feature set.

The CA series integrated amps were good looking and well built. Some had the ability to run in a dedicated class "A" mode and boy do they sound sweet.

The CR series receivers were also good looking and built well. Some of the earlier X00 series had slider controls which can be troublesome. Some of the later, lower end X40 and the "R" series had STK modules which can be difficult, if not impossible to find replacements for.

The Yamaha "C" and "M" series preamps and amps went black but were still built well and sound very good.

IMHO the C4 preamp is one of the best sounding and most versitile preamps ever made by anyone. YMMV.

Also, don't get too hung up on specs. Spec's are for measuring, gear is for listening. For the most part you will never hear the difference even though you might be able to measure a difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom