Show me your Mid-Century Modern consoles please!

riverrat

professional camper
I'd love to see some pics or descriptions of audio consoles in the mid-century modern style. I have a long-range plan to rebuild or replace the components in one, including better speakers, and put it in the living room of our MCM styled home.

I am more interested in finding a cool console cabinet with great MCM style than I am with the quality and/or condition of the components inside.

Here's an example:
30935623_62e33c3f44.jpg

Here's an example of a converted sideboard (pardon the crap piled around it...I have small children):

4461456946_70bb5bcf24_b.jpg

Speakers are off to the left of the console. The center section has drawers for tubes, accessories, cassettes and 45's while the rightmost section is full of LPs.

-D

I'd love to see some pics or descriptions of audio consoles in the mid-century modern style. I have a long-range plan to rebuild or replace the components in one, including better speakers, and put it in the living room of our MCM styled home.

I am more interested in finding a cool console cabinet with great MCM style than I am with the quality and/or condition of the components inside.

Here's an example:
30935623_62e33c3f44.jpg

That's a Zenith 900 series. I think that particular model number was 960. Later than most mid-century consoles, they were made in the late 60s.

Thanks for the details on the Zenith Sam, and the fine pic of your sideboard derekva! Your nice turntable looks fairly accessible to the small ones, how does that work..

RE the question about outboard speakers. That would certainly work but with WAF considerations, I am currently thinking of doing the best I can to upgrade built in speakers. The Chief is already letting me have a system in the kitchen/dining area and also a mild HT build. This is an older home with no dedicated media room and no man cave to speak of, so I am doing what I can under circumstances..

I have a mid-century modern Barzilay setup - equipment console and outboard speakers. Pictures are available in an old D&S thread entitled "The Daily Score." I also have a mid-century Philco console that is going to be rebuilt with Stromberg-Carlson electronics, Altec speakers and a Dual turntable..

Not "too" different from the OPs pic, the Stromberg-Carlson Penthouse, from around '61-'63 (?). It's really not dirty, LOL, just a weird lighting thing, used a flash in a fairly dark room. ;)

Attachments

• 018 (Medium).jpg
    018 (Medium).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Does this one count? BOTL Steelman console, late 50's vintage:
attachment.php

Attachments

• steelman.jpg
    steelman.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,663
I have the Zenith in post #1. Love the looks of it but I wished the front opened up insted of the top.

Back
Top Bottom