Saturday Tunes

0d6e81b0c8a071273415a110.L.jpg

America Remembers.... -- CD

Johnny Horton

1992 TeeVee/Sony Records

Rally 'round the flag, boys! February 8, 2002
By Kevin Cook
Format:Audio CD

This collection showcases Johnny Horton's fantastic voice and wide range - he could sing it all, from stirring patriotic songs and historical mini-epics to moving ballads and even rockabilly. Of course, all the hits are here, like the irresistible "Battle of New Orleans" (which I listened to incessantly as a kid in the Sixties) and "North to Alaska," to name two personal favorites.

They just don't write `em like this any more, and more's the pity. You won't be able to resist singing along, I guar-an-tee it!

I regret this collection doesn't include a sentimental favorite of mine, "The Same Old Tale that the Crow Told Me," the flip side of "Sink the Bismarck." Despite that very minor quibble, this is a rousing CD, chock-full of unabashed pride and patriotism. You'll love it.

1. North To Alaska
2. Battle Of New Orleans
3. When It's Springtime In Alaska (It's 40 Below)
4. Johnny Reb
5. I'm Coming Home
6. Honky Tonk Man
7. Sink The Bismark
8. All For The Love Of A Girl
9. The Mansion You Stole
10. I'm Ready If You're Willing
11. The Jim Bridger Story
12. I'm A One-Woman Man
13. Sleepy-Eyed John
14. They'll Never Take Her Love From Me
15. Old Slewfoot
16. All Grown Up
17. Sal's Got a Sugar Lip
18. Whispering Pines
19. Johnny Freedom ('Freedom Land')
20. Comanche

Getting the old bbq grill fired up.
on the menu
Hot dogs
New York Strip
Hamburgers
Earl Campbell's Hot Links
Baked Taters
Mac and Cheese for the kids
other fixins and Sweet Tea- and a Shiner beer or two and maybe even a Sam Adams

Now Playing
Grateful Dead
Mars Hotel
attachment.php

"I'm Uncle Sam, that's who I am..."​

51NhqT%2BqSbL.jpg

CSN -- CD

David Crosby, Stephen Still & Graham Nash

1977/ 1995 Atlantic Records

Adult music, March 21, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: CSN (Audio CD)

Some people prefer the youthful flash of this trio's first album, some the rocknroll flash of the first one where "Y" was part of the mix, but I've always found CSN to be the most satisfying of Crosby, Stills and Nash' efforts in that particular formation. The main reason is that it sounds like three ADULTS really giving their all together; in the songwriting, in the harmonies, in every respect. Particular high points are Still's "See The Changes," a sort-of cousin musically to his earlier "Helplessly Hoping," but whose world-weary lyrics are some of the most penetrating the man ever wrote; Nash's "Cold Rain," about returning to where you originally came from and remembering why you left in the first place, with some wonderful close harmonies; Nash again with "Cathedral," a dramatic high point in the group's arrangements; and Crosby's "Shadow Captain," as potently evocative of sailing on the open seas as a song can get. This album doesn't have the "gosh-wow" factor of CSN's 1969 debut, but it's just as rewarding an album---maybe more.

Side One

"Shadow Captain" (Crosby, Craig Doerge) – 4:32
"See the Changes" (Stills) – 2:56
"Carried Away" (Nash) – 2:29
"Fair Game" (Stills) – 3:30
"Anything at All" (Crosby) – 3:01
"Cathedral" (Nash) – 5:15

Side Two

"Dark Star" (Stills) – 4:43
"Just a Song Before I Go" (Nash) – 2:12
"Run from Tears" (Stills) – 4:09
"Cold Rain" (Nash) – 2:32
"In My Dreams" (Crosby) – 5:10
"I Give You Give Blind" (Stills) – 3:21

Art Pepper - Unreleased Art Pepper Vol. 8:

Live At The Winery September 6, 1976. With Smith Dobson, Jim Nichols and Brad Bilborn.

Laurie Pepper's continuing unreleased Art Pepper series. She has released a bunch of live gems over the years. So glad I kept myself in the loop.

51bRNIYCwcL._SS500_.jpg

6 and 12 String Guitar -- SACD

Leo Kottke

1969/2004 Takoma Records

Amazon.com essential recording

For decades, Leo Kottke would inspire generations of fingerpicking acoustic guitarists (and help pave the way for New Age and contemporary instrumental music), but this 1969 album is the one that started it all. Kottke's brilliant debut was released, fittingly, on John Fahey's Takoma label. Showing the influence of Fahey himself (and Takoma labelmate Robbie Basho), Kottke performs impossibly difficult solo compositions that meld blues, bluegrass, and jazz techniques. Whether surefooted and quick ("The Driving of the Year Nail," "Jack Fig," "The Fisherman") or slow and reflective ("Ojo," "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"), Kottke's instrumental work is simply awe-inspiring. He'd forge an entire career out of this music and eventually incorporate singing onto his albums, but this gem is Kottke at his very best. Essential. --Jason Verlinde

All songs written and composed by Leo Kottke, except where noted.
No. Title Kottke's notes Length
1. "The Driving of the Year Nail" From an old Etruscan drawing of a sperm cell 1:54
2. "The Last of the Arkansas Greyhounds" A terror-filled escape on a bus from a man fired from Beaumont ranch 3:18
3. "Ojo" Ojo Caliente where Zuni hid from Esteban, the Moor, and the Spaniards 2:14
4. "Crow River Waltz" A prayer for the demise of the canoe and the radar trap without which Federal prisons will have to be rebuilt to accommodate prepubescence 3:20
5. "The Sailor's Grave on the Prairie" Originally written to commemorate Nedicks and a Minneapolis musician's contempt for the three a.m. cheeseburger with a nickel slice of raw 2:34
6. "Vaseline Machine Gun" 1) for waking up nude in a sleeping bag on the shore of the Atlantic surrounded by a volleyball game at high noon, and 2) for the end of the volleyball game 3:11
7. "Jack Fig" A reluctant lament 2:14
Side Two
No. Title Kottke's notes Length
1. "Watermelon" While at Watermelon Park Music Festival I had the opportunity to play banjo in the middle of the night for a wandering drunk. When I finished he vomited — an astute comment on my playing. Made me feel very distinguished 3:12
2. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (J.S. Bach) The engineer called this the ancient joy of man's desire. (Bach had twenty children because his organ didn't have any stops) 2:24
3. "The Fisherman" This is about the mad fishermen of the North whose ice fishing spots resemble national shrines 2:32
4. "The Tennessee Toad" Who made an epic journey from Ohio to Tennessee 2:40
5. "Busted Bicycle" Reluctance 2:48
6. "The Brain of the Purple Mountain" From A.L. Tennyson 2:11
7. "Coolidge Rising" While rising from the sink, cupboard doors opened and engulfed his head; while turning to the right to avoid the whole incident he walked into a refrigerator — which afforded a good chin rest for staring at some bananas in a basket

ba7f419328a08e8ba12dd110.L.jpg

Jimmy & Wes - The Dynamic Duo -- Remastered 20-bit CD

Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery

1966/1997 Verve Master Edition

The ultradynamic duo!, July 16, 2000
By Jeffrey Harris (South San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jimmy & Wes: Dynamic Duo (Audio CD)

It's amazing what can happen when you put two master musicians like Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery in the same room, as this classic album documents. Supported by players like drummer Grady Tate, Clark Terry, and Ray Barretto, and arranger Oliver Nelson, Jimmy & Wes go to town on "The Dynamic Duo". "James & Wes", "Night Train", and the cool spin they put on "Baby, It's Cold Outside" make this album a joy to listen again and again. The alternate take of "Road Song" at the end is the cream on the cake, and in my opinion is even better than the originally issued take. One of the first releases in Verve's excellent Master Edition series, the packaging and remastered sound make this the definitive issue of this jazz classic and one of my all time favorites.

"Down by the Riverside" (Traditional) - 10:02
"Night Train" (Jimmy Forrest, Lewis Simpkins, Oscar Washington) - 6:48
"James and Wes" (Jimmy Smith) - 8:13
"13 (Death March)" (Gary McFarland) - 5:22
"Baby, It's Cold Outside" (Frank Loesser) - 6:05
"O.G.D. (aka Road Song)" (Wes Montgomery) - 5:13

QmiMNn.jpg

AT CARNEGIE HALL
Thelonious Monk Quartet
with John Coltrane

Blue Note

Finally ! Playing some good music !
That must have been one hell of a show on that Friday Night.
Billie Holiday
Dizzy Gillespie
Ray Charles
Chet Baker and Zoot Sims quartet
Mr Monk and Coltrane
and Sonny Rollins

I wonder what a ticket cost back then.

I think I will spin mine up, hopefully it will aid the digestive process.

Happy 4th there PM!

P.S. Nice lighting on the pic.

EzC7Sl.jpg

LIKE MINDS
Gary Burton - vibraphone
Chick Corea - keyboards
Pat Metheny - guitar
Roy Haynes - percussion
Dave Holland - bass

Concord Jazz

61u7eNH%2BjuL._SS500_.jpg

America The Beautiful -- CD

Shorty Rogers - Bud Shank & The Lighthouse All Stars

1991 Candid Records (London)

The 1991 version of the Lighthouse All-Stars gave trumpeter Shorty Rogers and altoist Bud Shank top billing. For this Candid CD, Rogers supplied eight of the selections (including "Less Is More," "Lotus Bud," "Fun" and "Here's That Old Martian Again") and the band also stretched out on Bud Powell's "Un Poco Loco" and a Rogers' arrangement of "America The Beautiful." This was one of the final records for both Shorty and the great tenor Bob Cooper and overall it is a typically swinging, witty and beautiful effort. Also in fine form are trumpeter Conte Candoli, Bill Perkins (on baritone, tenor and soprano), pianist Pete Jolly, bassist Monty Budwig and drummer Larence Marable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. America the Beautiful
2. Less Is More
3. New Dreams
4. Casa de Luz
5. Lotus Bud
6. Un Poco Loco
7. Good News, The
8. Here's That Old Martian Again
9. Truly Truly
10. Fun

Back