Headshells - Mg or Al?

MX117.MC7150

Listener
Subscriber
Need a new headshell for the Kleos cartridge. Am wondering if there is any 'real' difference between Mg or Al? Options thus far are Ortofon, Sumiko & Nagaoka.

Last edited:
I am supremely happy with the exotic wood headshell I just got - it's Ortfon's near TOTL
LH-8000. I wasn't prepared for it to make as much difference as it did over the stock Al headshell (From a PX-2) that I was using.

http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/headshells

Worth a serious look...

jblnut

Last edited:
Many DIY headshells from wood(s) and even metals.
They can be V easy to make..Not exactly a complex item :)
Might even find it as a fun exercise?

Need a new headshell for Kleos. Am wondering if there is any 'real' difference between Mg or Al? Options thus far are Ortofon, Sumiko & Nagaoka.

Magnesium is significantly lighter than aluminum but I think that most "magnesium" headshells are really Mg/Al alloys. That still will (or can) make them lighter than pure Al, of course so, if it were me, I'd find out what the headshells you're considering actually weigh and choose on the basis of their effect on tonearm mass rather than on the basis of their material.

John

And you forgot Audio-Technica as well.
Seems all the 'better' AT headshells have blind screw holes from the bottom like the one that came with my AT33R (Japan, only) cartridge. As the Kleos has threaded mounting holes the headshell needs to have through-holes rather than tapped.

Many DIY headshells from wood(s) and even metals. They can be V easy to make..Not exactly a complex item :) Might even find it as a fun exercise?
Not for me, thanks. Cleaning LPs, swapping out gear and the occasional repair is enough. I'm a competitive shooter and loading my ammo keeps me busy with its exacting requirements. When I'm through with this mornings e-mails I'll be casting a couple of hundred bullets. After that I'll only have ~1500 more to cast, which should carry me through the majority of the 2015 season.

Last edited:
Magnesium is significantly lighter than aluminum but I think that most "magnesium" headshells are really Mg/Al alloys.

All of them are alloys - pure magnesium is too unstable to use for just about everything. I seem to remember that science teachers like demonstrating the violence of the reaction when pure magnesium is exposed to air!:eek:

pure magnesium is very easy to set on fire.
I would pick a proper weight rather than material.
My pioneer won't even balance properly unless I use a headshell heavier than 11g.

All of them are alloys - pure magnesium is too unstable to use for just about everything. I seem to remember that science teachers like demonstrating the violence of the reaction when pure magnesium is exposed to air!:eek:

Magnesium will burn, but won't spontaneously ignite at room temperature. I keep some magnesium ribbon around to burn, it's really bright.

Magnesium will burn, but won't spontaneously ignite at room temperature. I keep some magnesium ribbon around to burn, it's really bright.

If I remember correctly, the only way to put out a magnesium fire is with sand or Class D [dry chemical] extinguisher. It can continue to burn without oxygen.

Otherwise, I like it for headshells and motorcycle parts. :thmbsp:

I really like the adjustable azimuth feature on my Sumikos.

boreas' point about effect on tonearm mass is worth noting. Sometimes one does not want lighter...

I really like the adjustable azimuth feature on my Sumikos.
boreas' point about effect on tonearm mass is worth noting. Sometimes one does not want lighter...

No doubt, matching the weight of your head shell / cartridge with your tone arm mass is primary.
Having the azimuth adjustability is nice but not absolutely necessary. :yes:

Looking @ all those exotic Yamamoto 'shells .......:drool:
attachment.php

How does that Ti unit weigh 18.4 grams?!? :saywhat:

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 141
I've got a nice lightweight ADC magnesium headshell, that I use with an AT-150MLX cartridge for my Technics SL-1700Mk2. The AT is both heavier and higher compliance than any other cartridge I own, and found it performed better with the lightest headshell I could find, in order to keep the arm mass low. They are not made new any longer, but you could probably find used or NOS. As others have said, my target was low mass, not the material.

The Sumiko/Jelco azimuth adjustable headshells are worth your consideration and have slots to handle your cartridge. And in my book equal quality to the Audio-Technica ATP shells.

Thanks. Ordered the Mg Jelco from TurntableNeedles this a.m. Should have it early next week and can start listening to the Kleos.

Thanks to all for the help.

Have a look at the Yamamoto Onkyou HS-3 Headshell (Boxwood) just under 90.00 US. :music:
http://betterhomeentertainment.com/s-home/bhe/yamamoto-headshell
Drat........... why did you have to post this? ;)

Am going to have to spring for one of those carbon fiber or Ti headshells for the Kleos and use the Jelco for the Kontrapunkt-b. Have to do a bit of research to see which is the proper one (must have 6 or 8 in each material). Great selection. Thanks.

Drat........... why did you have to post this? ;)

Am going to have to spring for one of those carbon fiber or Ti headshells for the Kleos and use the Jelco for the Kontrapunkt-b. Have to do a bit of research to see which is the proper one (must have 6 or 8 in each material). Great selection. Thanks.

So sorry! :D

Did 'speak' (e-mail) to the Yamamoto headshell reseller and said that the difference in price between the various carbon fiber and Ti headshells is based on which wire is included. The least expensive (with no wire) is the same as the most expensive (with his 'S' grade wire).

Back
Top Bottom