DSP A2070 heart breaker.

milom

Let me start with, I LOVE MY DSP A2070, but I am not sure if it is worth putting more money into. Bought this unit new in the mid 90’s and had a problem with one of the main chnls, so I sent it to Magnolia Seattle for repairs and at the same time picked up a Denon unit to fill the void. When I picked up the DSP, I put it in the closet without testing it, now some 5 years later, and somewhat disappointed in my Denon, I decided to bring the Yamaha out of the closet. It seems that it has the same if not similar problem that it had when it went into the shop, very little output to the right main and headphones. I have tried all the things I can think of and the only time I have output to the right main is when DSP is enabled. I know this is probably a stretch, but has anyone run into this and if so, what did you find. I don’t want to junk this unit but am not sure if it is worth sending it off for repairs again.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Milo

First, thank you for your response. I have this need to get my Denon 1082 into someone else life and out of mine, lol, but I need to make sure the 2070 will live on.
I have tried the reset in diag. mode, but there was no change in output.
Not totally sure if I understand the reset function, as I understand it to be, select function 8 inhibit, then power down.
I don't believe it is in the main amp section, as I swapped R and L I/O and had output to the right channel. In normal mode I have a very faint output to the right main and headphone, with no low end what so ever. Not sure if the mute circuit can cause this or not. I am wondering if it could possibly be in the selector switch?
I left the unit at the Silverdale Magnolia, pre Best-buy, and believe it went to the Roosevelt service center for repairs. I only wish I would have tested it at the store before I left, or at least not waited 5 or 6 years.

Have you tried using Tape Monitor 2 input? It will bypas the selector switch. I would not have guessed the selector switch is bad since you get sound with DSP selected but the A2070's SS is notorious for going bad so it's worth trying.

Last edited:
Have you tried using Tape Monitor 2 input? It will bypas the selector switch. I would not have guessed the selector switch is bad since you get sound with DSP selected but the A2070's SS is notorious for going bad so it's worth trying.

I did try the Tape Monitor with no change. It appears the problem is between the selector switch and the effects on/off section, going by the block diagram I have. I did locate a local service tech that claims he can repair the unit, and have left it with him. I will post the results as to what he finds.
Thanks,
Milo

Back
Top Bottom