Any AK love for current Yamaha ?

estreeter

Hi All,

I get that this forum is aimed at those who love vintage Yamaha kit, and I'm definitely a fan, but I like what Yamaha have done both outside and (fwir) inside the new range. Particularly like what I've read about the A-S700.

22486_12001_1.jpg

Ironically, the other current Yamaha product on my radar doesnt need an amp - its the HS80M active speaker. Studio folk certainly dont seem to have the same aversion to Yamaha kit expressed by some of the hair-shirt Audiophiles out there - more power to them.

estreeter

Attachments

• 22486_12001_1.jpg
    22486_12001_1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 17
I plan on eventually buying a new Yamaha HT receiver. I have no qualms about buying new, just its expensive now that I have been downsized.

I think it says a lot about the current state of Yamaha Hi-Fi when their greatest consumer offering is what amounts to a mid-range integrated amp and they are charging $2500 for it. 90wpc into 8ohms :no:

Really, I'd be hard pressed to not just get something like a CA-1010 instead if I was in the market for something like that.

That being said, I'd love a few of these :yes:

Chris, I guess it comes down to what you really need in terms of amplification - I know most audiophiles are in the 'moar power' camp, and I agree that $2500 is a lot of money for 90wpc, but hopefully Yamaha follow the lead set by NAD and Rotel - both understate the output power of their integrated amps. I have the results of independent testing on the RA-1520 at home - an amp that Rotel rates at a mere 60WPC - and the dynamic power output is way above what I expected. I dont see any measurements on the current Yamaha amps - happy to hear from someone who has.

The local analog and turntable shop (Audio Renaissance) says they're going to carry them. I thought the receivers were nice, reasonably priced, and they still have an RIAA phono input!

I don't think most "audiophiles" care much about power at all.

The A-S2000 is a spectacular sounding amp. The 90 Watts is great. I can't imagine anything vintage from Yamaha that I would take over it.

I think Yamaha is on the right track since many of us "Baby Boomers" love audio/video gear and have the funds for the gear we like. Currently, I've been spending my extra funds on my other hobby since I feel that things will change in that area within the next year... Anyway, I will start to focus on purchasing a new A-S2000 and CD-S2000 around Christmas time. I only wish that Yamaha would have released their T-S1000 tuner in the U.S. market... The T-S1000 would have rounded out this package in a big way. Yamaha did a great thing here and I only hope they will release an updated "M-85/C-85 and T-85!!

The A-S2000 is an amazing amp - provided you are not a vinyl lover. The phono stage is not really good, it sounds too bright.

Last edited:
I wish Yamaha made a higher end pre-pro. I don't use the internal amplification on my RX-V3800 anyway. For 2-channel, I'll stick with the vintage stuff. As much as I lusted over an A-S2000 when they came out, my priorities have changed and it's no longer a must have.

Im a Yamaha Fan , ALL My amps are Yamaha, and I think Ill stick with them for some years to come! the new A-S1000 and A-S2000 looks good and sounds good, Im actually happy this is a company that still kept the Hi-Fi world going strong.

While I dont own any of these amps..Yet! I own a few vintage monsters, the Mx600U, Mx800U, Mx1000U, AVC-50U and even a Yamaha P3200 and P5500. I used to own a bunch of late 79 early 80's super yamaha amps too, but as much as I wanted to keep them, I had no room for them

I think it says a lot about the current state of Yamaha Hi-Fi when their greatest consumer offering is what amounts to a mid-range integrated amp and they are charging $2500 for it. 90wpc into 8ohms :no:

Really, I'd be hard pressed to not just get something like a CA-1010 instead if I was in the market for something like that.

I could only confirm.
I doubt that these overpriced piece of home-entertainment could be recognized in a blind test with some of their equal powered stuff from the 80s.
Not to mention the better ones like the MX-1, AX1090 and so on.

I wish Yamaha made a higher end pre-pro. I don't use the internal amplification on my RX-V3800 anyway. For 2-channel, I'll stick with the vintage stuff. As much as I lusted over an A-S2000 when they came out, my priorities have changed and it's no longer a must have.

I'm in the same boat as you. I would have stayed with Yamaha if they had a pre-pro. I went with a Marantz AV7005 to replace my RX-V3800.

Don't understand why this thread swerved right off the A-700. These new mid-priced Yammies look pretty cool as they recover some of the retro look of the early knobs, face-plate, etc. And they're 800.

So does anyone have any comments on the sub 1000 dollar integrateds?

cnh2

I use a modern Yamaha HT receiver. It's really nice and has a lot of features. One is it's "pure direct" mode which supposedly bypasses all of the digital processing circuitry.

haven't heard any gear at all that i would consider modern..
however if somebody let me borrow a modern Yamaha amp. id gladly give it a listen.

Hi All,

I get that this forum is aimed at those who love vintage Yamaha kit, and I'm definitely a fan, but I like what Yamaha have done both outside and (fwir) inside the new range. Particularly like what I've read about the A-S700.

22486_12001_1.jpg

Ironically, the other current Yamaha product on my radar doesnt need an amp - its the HS80M active speaker. Studio folk certainly dont seem to have the same aversion to Yamaha kit expressed by some of the hair-shirt Audiophiles out there - more power to them.

estreeter

Just to clarify, this forum is for ALL Yamaha fans. There just happens to be more vintage ones active now.

Power has come a long way from the "receiver wars" power ratings of the 70's. The A-S2000 will comfortable drive 4 ohm speakers, and put out more power than the 1010 will. It will also handle 2 ohm loads. From all accounts I have read, it will do that while sounding cleaner and clearer than the earlier ones. It is a true TOTL amp. They are just not concerned about silly, pointless power ratings anymore.

I Hate Plastic Knobs

I was looking at the Yamaha Receivers at Best Buy the other day and they sounded very good and the design is pleasing to the eye but the knobs are plastic and feel cheap in particular the volume knob. It felt like if you gave it any mishandling it would break. I have a Yamaha AV34 amplifier and the knobs are plastic with metal caps over them. I don't like the feel of the volume control but it does feel solid my guess is they expect you to use the remote. Sound wise it is great and more inputs and rec outs than I will ever use. It seems in the 500.00 or so range all the manufactures are using plastic for the knobs to cut cost.

7332275278_cb5b68cf94_b.jpg

I have the A-S2000 and CD-S1000 and I simply can't get enough. I want to upgrade my system but I don't see a lot out there that would come close without doubling or tripling my investment in the system. I owned the A-S700 and CD-S700 and they were acceptable but not even close to the higher end of their current offerings or vintage Yamaha in terms of power and headroom. I would describe the S700 pair as better than almost any home theater-cum-2-channel setup I've ever heard. The designers suggested that the S700 was derived from some of Yamaha's micro components and there is nothing micro about the A-S2000.

The A-S2000 sounded really constrained when I used it with B&W CM1's, so much so that I didn't bother to try it with the CM5's I hadn't even opened. Another issue with the B&W is that they are ported and I need to place them near a wall. I purchased a pair of ATC SCM11's and now every bit of the A-S2000's power is put to good use.

Back
Top Bottom