Yamaha C-2X warm to the touch

dscalderon

I have recently been running a very nice C-2X and am very pleased with its performance especially the phono stage performance for MC inputs. It runs strong and stays relatively cool during use. However, I found that it stays warm to the touch on the top panel toward the left rear quadrant even when it is powered off. Does anyone know why? Could it have something to due with the unswitched outlets on the rear panel in that general area? Is this normal or is it something I should have a tech checkout? I definitely don't want to damage this great preamp. I previously have run a Yamaha C-2a and never noticed it staying warm but maybe I never touched it because a tuner was sitting on top of it for most of its life n my system.

I have recently been running a very nice C-2X and am very pleased with its performance especially the phono stage performance for MC inputs. It runs strong and stays relatively cool during use. However, I found that it stays warm to the touch on the top panel toward the left rear quadrant even when it is powered off. Does anyone know why? Could it have something to due with the unswitched outlets on the rear panel in that general area? Is this normal or is it something I should have a tech checkout? I definitely don't want to damage this great preamp. I previously have run a Yamaha C-2a and never noticed it staying warm but maybe I never touched it because a tuner was sitting on top of it for most of its life n my system.

All the C-2's I've had run warm to the touch. There is about zero ventalation in the pre-amp. So thats why its incased in and extruded aluminun case. the whole case is a heatsink.Heatsinks are suppose to get warm.:thmbsp:

All the C-2's I've had run warm to the touch. There is about zero ventalation in the pre-amp. So thats why its incased in and extruded aluminun case. the whole case is a heatsink.Heatsinks are suppose to get warm.:thmbsp:

Should it be warm to the touch even when it is switched off?

I've always wondered about my Yamaha preamps without ventilation openings.
I usually stack a Yammie amplifier on top the preamplifer and am kinda concerned as to whether there's any harm doing this.
There is warmth but not seemingly too much?

The mains switch operates a relay. So there must be some mains power even when the unit is switched off.

The mains switch operates a relay. So there must be some mains power even when the unit is switched off.

Switch is in the DC circuit? Transformer has a constant current flow unless disconnected from the mains plug. Tansformer is keeping things cozy warm.

Last edited:
To me, the behaviour of dscalderon's C-2x is abnormal.

I just touched the rear top panel quadrant of my own C-2x (220 V European model without main outlets) switched off since yesterday and it is cold.

I see no reason why a switched off C-2x would be warm. Under the skin in the area dscalderon mentioned, there are the output transistors of the line and output stages power supplies, but this supplies are normally switched of by the front panel ON-OFF lever switch.

Seems abby normal to me as well.But I don't have a schematic,nor any first experience with this model. I've got C-2's and C-2a's.

looks like transformer is powered up in standby when switched off .
that's how i see it in the manual

looks like transformer is powered up in standby when switched off .
that's how i see it in the manual

There is 2 transformers in the C-2x.

When the main power switch is on the "OFF" position, the primary windings of the transformer for the phono and MC preamps and the line input buffer power supplies are disconnected from the main by a relay on the phase.

But the primary windings of the transformer for the line gain amp and output buffer remain connected to the main, as it is both phase secondary windings that are disconnected.

Could this second transformer warm a bit due to the fact the primary windings remain connected to the main ? Seems a little odd to me. :scratch2:

Seems abby normal to me as well. ...

THIS Abby Normal?? :D

abby+normal.jpg

I use power strips for on-off. So if it's hot, it's time to call Ghostbusters. :)

THIS Abby Normal?? :D

abby+normal.jpg

I use power strips for on-off. So if it's hot, it's time to call Ghostbusters. :)

Yep. Precisely.. I love that movie..

Froh Bloucker!!! Werewolf.There wolf !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom