Yamaha AX596 and speakers

cool9

Bought pr of Infinity RS2000.3 bookshelf speakers and they are really colored to me. The trebles are very bright and unrealistic, the mids are boomy. Can an amp do all of this to speakers or is it the speakers themselves? I have nothing to compare them to. I'm going to sell the speakers because I think it's the speakers but I wanted to see what feedback I got.

I did use the AX596 by itself and AX596/Carver Preamp combo with same results and I have good speaker cables.

FYI: In my car I've tried several different amps (JLAudio, Kenwood, Rockford) on my ADS comps and have never noticed much change in sound.

Attachments

• yamah99255426.jpg
    yamah99255426.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 12
Bought pr of Infinity RS2000.3 bookshelf speakers and they are really colored to me. The trebles are very bright and unrealistic, the mids are boomy. Can an amp do all of this to speakers or is it the speakers themselves? I have nothing to compare them to. I'm going to sell the speakers because I think it's the speakers but I wanted to see what feedback I got.

I did use the AX596 by itself and AX596/Carver Preamp combo with same results and I have good speaker cables.

FYI: In my car I've tried several different amps (JLAudio, Kenwood, Rockford) on my ADS comps and have never noticed much change in sound.

If this amp is not broken (which is possible after >10 years of service), it shouldn't have problems with almost any speakers. I think you just do not like how your Infinity sounds.

Oh, amp is brand new. I asked because I've seen discussions on amps having effect on speaker sound and I haven't run across that (yet).

Can you recommend vintage or newer bookshelf/floor speakers (mid-priced) which are balanced and not too bright for classic RNR (Pink Floyd, Doors, Deep Purple, Iommi, etc.)? (I know that's a $64,000 question.) I listen at low-moderate volumes. In the past I've had following in order of preference -

Infinity 7
Infinity 8 (I-7 tweeters much more realistic)
Polk Monitor 10 (lack some detail)
B&W DM603v3 (Very refined/tame bass, vocals a tad unrealistic)
B&W P4 (weak imaging, tame sound)
Klipsch (basic low budget) towers, 1990's
AR (basic low budget) Towers, 1990's
JBL L100 (not balanced)
Polk Monitor 5 (not balanced, bright)
Dynaco A25

Back
Top Bottom