CR-620 Crackling Input Selector

Majestyk

I just acquired a CR-620 and it works quite well and with the original working lights too. But when on the Tape 1 or Tape 2 input selector the audio will sound distorted/crackly on the right channel unless I wiggle the control a bit and then it will sound perfect. It always works perfectly on the AUX, even if I wiggle...I have not tried the other inputs yet.

As most know there is an branch/arm going from the switch to the mechanism, which is further back in the unit. I sprayed quite a bit of DeoxIT on the input mechanism, as well as the record too. I also sprayed the inputs (inside) at the rear.

Unfortunately it still does this, and I put quite a bit in too. I'm assuming that I shouldn't need to spay where the switch is, since it's just a arm that is connected to it and nothing more. Right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those switches are a pain to get clean. I have to disassemble them, to get them cleaned up with a little piece of scotchbrite and deoxit. You can check the solder connections on the circuit board beneath the selector switch assembly, that could also cause your symptom.

Check out this thread..............Same type of switch in a "CA-xxxx" model.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2939708&postcount=1

Attachments

• sdc11628jk.jpg
    sdc11628jk.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC03000.JPG
    DSC03000.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Well I drowned it in DeoxIT, squirting some in the back too. I'd say it's 85% now. Tape 2 takes a little wiggling to get the right channel to play in full but the other inputs are fine now and no more distortion, so I'm happy. I just couldn't bare to take it apart. I noticed on the rear that there are a row of pins, from the input selector, that have no solder on them. Odd. I can tell they never did.

Maybe one day I'll do one more DeoxIT session.

Back
Top Bottom