CDX-750E CD Player problem

Hyperion

Roobarb & Custard
Subscriber
I have a CDX-750E which I have been very happy with, especially since I changed the OP amps for better ones. It has given years of good service only being used anything like regularly in the past 4 years or so - so not been thrashed.

Just lately it has developed a problem, such that when playing the last tracks of a CD it skips back a little to the previous track. If left to play it will do it repeatedly, but skips back a slightly different amount each time - according to the timer about 5 or 6 minutes or thereabouts. Once it got stuck and played the same part of the track, sounding like an echo, also somewhat alarmingly the display flickers a bit when this happens.

I opened it up and had a look nothing seemed to be amiss, no dust or fluff present inside, but I thought the guide bars for the laser were a bit dry. So I put a very small amount of the lightest oil I have on these guide rails. I used a blower brush on the lens just in case. Thought I had solved the problem as it went away for a while, but it's back.

Any thoughts?

:rolleyes:
I have a CDX-750E which I have been very happy with, especially since I changed the OP amps for better ones. It has given years of good service only being used anything like regularly in the past 4 years or so - so not been thrashed.

Just lately it has developed a problem, such that when playing the last tracks of a CD it skips back a little to the previous track. If left to play it will do it repeatedly, but skips back a slightly different amount each time - according to the timer about 5 or 6 minutes or thereabouts. Once it got stuck and played the same part of the track, sounding like an echo, also somewhat alarmingly the display flickers a bit when this happens.

I opened it up and had a look nothing seemed to be amiss, no dust or fluff present inside, but I thought the guide bars for the laser were a bit dry. So I put a very small amount of the lightest oil I have on these guide rails. I used a blower brush on the lens just in case. Thought I had solved the problem as it went away for a while, but it's back.

Any thoughts?

Don't play the last track..:rolleyes:

Got one of these?
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=170247&d=1253406660

Last edited:
Well, I had another good look round inside, and still with the lid off, played some CD's - observing the movement of the laser sled. There is some wiring from the laser sled assembly which was dressed alongside the PCB and secured with a wire tie. :scratch2:

After carefully checking, I decided that the wiring didn't quite have the freedom of movement it should, so I released it from the tie and redressed the remaining wire bundle with the wire tie - SUCCESS ! - no more track skipping. (at least at the moment...)

I am just guessing, but maybe the very floppy thin wires from the laser sled have aged a bit and got a bit less flexible - hence creating the issue.

Or maybe it didn't like the way I was glaring at it while it was playing and misbehaving - anyhow it now seems to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom