The official AK golf thread

How did I miss this thread!? In my youth I called golfers pussies! Never even tried the game til I was 26. Not for pussies! I was hooked. Played on and off for many years. Not a serious golfer, but love being out on the course. Best I ever shot was 84 on Stumpy Lake Golf Course in Va Bch. Played many military courses ( $15 green fees for Active Duty!) Played in a great fun league in Elizabeth City, NC (Pines Golf Club). Played pretty much any course in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Played a few courses in my hometown and the City course was my favorite.

I use and older set of Cleveland Irons, Orlimar Tight Lies Woods, and a Ping Blade putter. Never could use a driver. I use the 3 Orlimar to drive with. Longest drive was on a par 4 335 yrds. Hit 3 feet from the green. Yeah getting there is the easy part. 4 putted the hole! Club Pro told me I needed and extra stiff shaft on a Driver for me to control it, the way I swing. Yeah my wife said the same thing!
My new boss is a golfer....I can see the clubs getting dusted off.

Glad you found the thread. Only time I was in Virginia Beach Hurricane Danny was blowing through. Didn't get any golf in.

The wife gets back from Denver in about an hour then we're going out to the course. I'd like to play 18 but I imagine she'll only be up for nine. It's pretty nice today and the wind is blowing as bad as it has been. :thmbsp:

cubdog

Played one of the local country clubs last Friday before Memorial Day. While the company was fun, the course was boring. Not enough dog legs. Enjoyed my driver, though, and got some nice loft with my new Cleveland 56 degree wedge.

Played 7 holes in 30 strokes. Played two holes in 15 strokes. A combination of bad luck, and bad decisions brought about by the bad luck. When will I ever learn? :sigh:

cubdog

Cubdog - there are those days that everything you do on the course just turns to sh*t. You just have to come back another day.

So is anyone hitting new Pings? Specifically the G25 and/or the G30? Or, since I'm looking to replace my old Taylor Made Burner, what are some of your favorite new or newish drivers?

Can't even see the courses around here yet. Too much rain.

So is anyone hitting new Pings? Specifically the G25 and/or the G30? Or, since I'm looking to replace my old Taylor Made Burner, what are some of your favorite new or newish drivers?

I've already documented my love for Cleveland drivers. You really have to hit a bunch of them though. All the major companies are producing quality drivers it just a matter of which ones look, feel and perform best for you. Check out the recent Golf Digest Hot list for good information. You can find this year's list as well as the recent lists on line. That's a good place to start.

cubdog

Check out the recent Golf Digest Hot list for good information. You can find this year's list as well as the recent lists on line. That's a good place to start.

Thanks cubdog, but that's no fun. I didn't choose my audio equipment based upon any stereo magazines, so why would I choose a new club that way? I want real world, hacker reports :D

I'll look at Cleveland's drivers. Possibly the CG Black or even the 588 series.

It's a bit harder to test drive around here. I'm a lefty so there's not a huge selection to demo. And our Dick's golf selection sucks.

Thanks cubdog, but that's no fun. I didn't choose my audio equipment based upon any stereo magazines, so why would I choose a new club that way? I want real world, hacker reports :D

I'll look at Cleveland's drivers. Possibly the CG Black or even the 588 series.

It's a bit harder to test drive around here. I'm a lefty so there's not a huge selection to demo. And our Dick's golf selection sucks.

I know what your saying but at least you can look at the pretty pictures. :D One thing is for sure in my world and that is that I'll never buy a current year model driver Wait one or even better two years and that $4-500 driver will be $75- 150 still brand new and shiny. I've bought $1100 worth of drivers in the last few years and paid less than $300 total. Crazy business golf is.

cubdog

One thing is for sure in my world and that is that I'll never buy a current year model driver Wait one or even better two years and that $4-500 driver will be $75- 150 still brand new and shiny. I've bought $1100 worth of drivers in the last few years and paid less than $300 total. Crazy business golf is.

cubdog

Tell me about it.

Yeah, I know the technology changes and all that, but like I feel about skiing - the snow hasn't changed - neither has the grass, sand, etc. Still, I don't get ridiculous - no straight board 203s on the slopes anymore and no more Wilson Sam Sneads (my first set). But I still love my Zings. I'd be hard pressed to replace those. Heck, I still play the Zing persimmon woods (3 and 5) and the 1 iron.

I use a G25 .. Was using a Taylormade Superfast before. I really preferred the Ping over my TM. I'm a 10(9.7) Handicap...so I'm not really a "Qualified" reviewer. I think some of the online sites offer 30 day returns. Prices on a G25 should be reduced now that the G30 has been out for a while. Give one a try.

Tell me about it.

Yeah, I know the technology changes and all that, but like I feel about skiing - the snow hasn't changed - neither has the grass, sand, etc. Still, I don't get ridiculous - no straight board 203s on the slopes anymore and no more Wilson Sam Sneads (my first set). But I still love my Zings. I'd be hard pressed to replace those. Heck, I still play the Zing persimmon woods (3 and 5) and the 1 iron.

Get rid of the persimmons! Believe me, I love them and was one of the last to switch to a metal driver. I still own two sets of persimmon woods, Powerbuilt and Tommy Armour both were top of the line in their day. I still appreciate them as works of golf club art but that's where my love affair ends. Last year I took the Armour driver out to my course for my pro to play with and even he had a hell of a time hitting it. It's just not woth the aggravation unless you like posting high scores. Believe me, buy some nice metal woods, god forbid you still carry anything more than a 4 iron in your bag, and some hybrids. You will shoot lower scores and will likely regain a portion of your sanity eroded from trying to play with outdated clubs. Trust old cubdog on this one.

cubdog

Ok, I will take your advice. Especially since I haven't really played much in the past few years. Might be fun, I've never hit a hybrid before! And tjste, that's good to hear. The G25 is in my list!

I'm still playing my 7 year old Taylor Made Burner. I tried a couple newer drivers and didn't hit them as well as this old one. Guess it just fits me well.

I'm still playing my 7 year old Taylor Made Burner. I tried a couple newer drivers and didn't hit them as well as this old one. Guess it just fits me well.
That's a pretty good driver if it's the one I'm thinking of. It might be the same year as mine. It's one of the newer white models that give me fits. I have zero control over the ball flight with it.

cubdog

That's a pretty good driver if it's the one I'm thinking of. It might be the same year as mine. It's one of the newer white models that give me fits. I have zero control over the ball flight with it.

cubdog
I own a white burner, the first model that was white. It's a total POS. I actually sent it back to Taylor because I was sure there was something wrong with it. They ended up losing track of it after saying it was OK. They sent me a brand new one and it sucked just as bad as the first one. Here's the one I use. As far as I'm concerned, it's the last decent driver TM made.

Attachments

• 07Burner.jpg
    07Burner.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom