Restore my CR-2020?

Thanks for all the quick responses. Well I've got it apart this far I think I'm going to try and do it myself. I think I can do it. Now can you guys help me with ordering the correct parts?

Oh I am going to take my sweet time with her. The most advanced thing I have done is recap my HPM-100 crossovers which wasn't bad. Shouldn't be much different right? :)

So you guys are pretty sure these are the original transistors? It kinda looks to me that the solder on them is different than the rest used on the board.

IIRC, Yamaha used the 2SD234 originally. I believe Merrylander recommended the 613 as a replacement, so perhaps someone has been in there and changed the transistors. The current part people usually prefer to use is TIP41c, but I believe the 613 should also be fine.

For certain the resistors have not been changed though. Your resistor choices are fine. I have a mouser project list for the parts if you want it.

mouser parts list link sent by PM....

relay is out of stock, alternative is the MY-02-DC12, but Mouser doesn't seem to have it.

If the backside of the cap board is badly burnt, you may have trouble with mounting those resistors. If you look, you'll see that they are in series, so an alternative would be to remote mount a single 56ohm resistor. This one should do the trick:

40F56RE

:)

Last edited:
Yes I really do think think someone replaced the transistors. The soldering under the board looks weird. Did they flow it like that because some traces were maybe damaged? I would definitely appreciate the mouser project list!

Yes, typically these are the traces that do get damaged. The issue is two fold- air flow and heat sink size on the to220's. There is a post on Ak in the yamaha section where someone moved the transistors to a different location and used wires and a connector to connect up to them.

Honestly, most of the work is done getting to the back's of the boards- you've done that. Go with Steve's list, order the parts- pay close attention when recapping that board with the main caps- there's a strange + - marking for one of the caps- easy to put it in backward. Take lots of pics prior to redoing whatever you plan on redoing.

Last edited:
Before you get into it- make sure you can set bias and check the DC offset at the speaker terminals- there is no provision to balance DC- it's done by closely matching the differential pair. If it's 10mv or lower this is acceptable. If not the diff pair should be replaced. With a good matched pair installed it should be as close to zero as the circuit allows.

There is a post on Ak in the yamaha section where someone moved the transistors to a different location and used wires and a connector to connect up to them.

I've done that a couple times. I think I posted on it... works great, but has to be done right. Or else... KAPOW!:yikes:

Ok now I'm starting to dig into this thing. I want to make sure I am looking at the correct resistors to replace. The red circled are the 33 ohm that need mounted 1/4in above the board and the blue are the 22 ohm? Thanks for everyone's help.
22 33.jpg

Mount the new ones well off the board for cooling... Kink the leads so that they are supported by the kink on the component side of the PCB and not just the solder on the solder side.

How are your traces? The better the condition, the fewer hours it's been used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom