Yamaha NS2000 Surrounds

brinsmead

Hi Guys,
I have a pair of Yamaha 2000’s.
The woofer model Yamaha JA-3301 - 13”, foam surrounds have deteriorated.
Has any one had a successful repair in recent years or has any one purchased surrounds?
I’m in Australia and I’d like to keep the woofers in the country if possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Rob

Last edited:
Wish I had your problem! :D

I'll state the obvious by saying too bad Yamaha didn't do the same with those surrounds as they did with the NS-1000's. It's been mentioned that Orange County Speakers in the US is able to re-foam them or might have surrounds for sale that might work but I have no direct experience.

Good luck with the repair! :thmbsp:

Ns2000

Thankyou Vintage,

I thought they may have been a good bet too, this was their reply

Unfortunately we do not have the proper surrounds for this model, sorry.

Best Regards,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.
World Distributor for GLS Audio
800-897-8373 M-F 9am - 5pm Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/
Eric@SpeakerRepair.com
-----
Please include all previous text when replying to this message.
-----

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Mary wrote:

Hi Guys,
I live in Geelong ,Australia, I have a pair of the Yamaha 2000's, I have no one in Australia that has access to surrounds to do the job of refoaming the surrounds.
Would you be so kind as to supply the surrounds that I need,and I will approach Melbourne's two Speaker rebuilders.
Yamaha JA-3301 4Z2006 591017 13"
kind regards
Rob

Maybe if you post this in the speaker forum? There's some creative AKer's there that can likely help. I remember reading where someone used a 15" surrounds and cut them to size to repair a 13" speaker.

A few months ago I have put this specific question to TUNED SYSTEMS (www.tuned-systems.de) in Germany and they replied that they can repair the NS-2000 woofers properly. It will be a bit pricey to ship the heavy items to Europe but this speakers deserve it. They recommend to mount the woofers face to face secured with bolts and nuts and pack them in a box protected with plenty of bubble foil. It would be a good idea to protect the heavy magnets from falling off with epoxy.

Ns2000

Vintage you’re always helpful. (I must have been so naïve thinking they were going to last forever)
Dr Ear I have noted what you say, I will contact this company.
In relation to packing, what you say is particularly relevant and where ever I send them I will use this method. Thankyou.
Vintage I will put a post in Speakers.
Thanks again Guys

Last edited:
Ns2000

Guys, I stumbled across this. It might be a bit of a problem for a "do it yourselfa" but I'll try to find someone with the appropriate skills.

The refoam kit you will need is the RFK15 Angle. The price is $22 for the
kit and shipping is $38. So the total price is $60.

Here is a link on our website that demonstrates the cut and seam process.
Basically you're going to cut across the foam and then make it smaller by
overlapping the excess. You can cut off most of the extra foam but you must
leave something to glue the two ends back together.

http://reconingspeakers.com/refoaming/do-you-need-a-smaller-foam/

Thank you,
Gene

The Speaker Exchange
1250 E. Hillsborough Avenue
Tampa, FL 33604
800-849-6972 . 813-237-4800
www.reconingspeakers.com

Last edited:
N2000

Guys, There would be a few issues you would have to consider if tackling it yourself and to ask a professional rebuilder,

1. I expect the voice coil will have to be locked.
2. The removal of the centre cap to do this, the issue here is to get the cap off without damaging it.(not sure what material this is , but its not paper)
3. The removal of the Gasket without damaging it
4. Would it require special glue on the carbon fibre cone for attaching the surrounds?

I know contact cement is recommended for paper cones.

Last edited:
NS2000 Sales Brochure

Hi Guys,
This excerpt was taken from the NS2000 sales brochure issued by Yamaha on 30/4/1983.
Good selling point at the time!
Quote,
“Polyurethane rolled edge (woofer) –The most effective edge design for optimum linearity in a large speaker cone. Also, this edge is not effected by heat, humidity or age, so that’s performance remains superb indefinitely”

Yamaha put them out on a limb with that statement.

Maybe I read that and stored it, that’s why I never considered that the edge
would ever be an issue.

Last edited:
“Polyurethane rolled edge (woofer) –The most effective edge design for optimum linearity in a large speaker cone. Also, this edge is not effected by heat, humidity or age, so that’s performance remains superb indefinitely”

Shame on Yamaha for that piece of advertising BS ... :thumbsdn: ... having said that, I'd still trade the my better pair of NS-1000M's for them. :yes: :D

tunedsystems is great they did a new coil on my ss-g7 tweeter

not an easy job result is exellence :thmbsp:

Talk to AK member GordonW who generally hangs out over in the tube audio or speaker forums. He repairs and builds custom speakers and tube gear. He did a pair of NS-1000 woofers for me about ten years ago and they are still singing sweetly. Well...... as sweetly as a woofer can.

I'd call Yamaha on the phone. And ask about the surrounds being idefinately superb, and ask for replacements. If radio shack will warranty a tube. Yamaha should warranty that.

Those are not cheap speakers. I'd call their bluff.

I know contact cement is recommended for paper cones.

Regards Rob

Hi,

A PVA (wood glue) type of adhesive works best with paper and
foam. It gives you plenty of time to get it right before setting.

Something else is needed for plastic cones and rubber surrounds
(with paper or foam) but I wouldn't recommend a contact type.

rgds, sreten.

Ns2000

Thankyou Guys,
but I don’t want to get into a dispute with Yamaha, it was more or less just demonstrating a bit of info out of the sales brochure of that time, as Vintage put it very aptly, but don’t believe everything you read.
I’d had the B2 connected to the 2000’s and I’d hear this crack, crack every now and then and thinking out loud saying the old B2 got problems there goes the VFET’s ( Vintage look out) never once thinking about the speakers. I did a switch over with the M2 and took the grills off, and there you are, crook speakers,
I’ve seen a few instructional videos on how to how to re-surround, I’m still not sure whether I’m got the confidence to have a go at it, you only get one shot with the glue.
Regards R

Sreten, I not sure about the adhesive on the carbon fibre cone, I was still thinking contact adhesive.Years ago I got two bottles of glue from a speaker rebuilder for foam and rubber surrounds on paper cones (for small service repairs) but it wasn't contact adhesive.
regards Rob

Surrounds

Rob,
This comes a bit late, but I´ve got a pair of Surrounds here at home that will fit the 13" Woofer perfectly. No cutting ... no hassles. I'll send you the surrounds and you can get everything repaired locally.

Just about a year ago I was searching for proper foam surrounds for my Onkyo SC-1500 (also with 13" Woofer). After numerous contacts with people from China, Japan, the US and Germany all I was left with is the same old statement "A 13" Surround does not exist .. take a 15" and cut it" ... and yet there were numerous pictures of Onkyo SC-1500 and Yamaha NS-2000´s with perfect brand-new surrounds ...

I finally found someone out of Vietnam that could help me out ... and wouldn´t you know it ... I ordered two pairs (in case something went wrong during the repair) and got my Onkyo SC-1500´s fixed at a local Hifi-shop here in Germany.

I have had NS-2000 Owners confirm to me that the surrounds fit on their 13" Woofer. Please have a look to see if you can confirm this ...

Use this picture as a referrence ...
Sicken-Mass.jpg

Measures are as follows:
A: 318mm
B: 300mm
C: 264mm
D: 245mm

Check to see if everything fits. Like I said .. I've got a spare pair of surrounds lying around at home. I'd be glad to send them to you so that you may revive those legendary speakers :music:

Best Regards,
Denis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom