800c Missing cap????

notdigital

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm working on another 800c and in the process of identifying components to be replaced, I found that a cap is missing. When I received it, i fired it up and determined that it worked. The previous unit that I worked on had C-118, numbered #30, as pictured:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=351921&d=1338074813

The unit I'm working on doesn't have it. What gives?

Also, I found a blown resistor at the antenna terminal. I believe it is R-2. The antenna area too is slightly different from the first unit I worked on. I'll assume that part is ok but I have a question: When I replace the blown resistor, does one leg connect to the terminal below it?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• blown antenna resistor.jpg
    blown antenna resistor.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 30
The pics look good. I don't see any evidence of C-118 ever being there. What is the serial # of the 800C. The manual I have for the 800C is for 30001-49000. It's listed in the parts list but I'll be damned if I can find it on the schematic. It's possible that this cap was deleted later in the manufacturing run, but the deletion didn't make it to the schematic drafting Dept. (This happened a lot with Sansui, and other Japanese manufacturers, but haven't seen it as often in the US stuff). Can you locate it on your schematic, and note the serial #. (EDIT) The 20001-29999 version doesn't have the cap in the parts list or on the schematic that i can find. (Both versions are inthe AK DATABASE).

As for the resistor, there should be 2 of them (R2-270oHm) and (R3-100K). R-2 ties the LOC and Norm leads together while dropping some of the signal to keep from overloading the front end. R-3, comes off the other NORM lead and goes to chassis ground. It's possible that one of them isn't being shown, look at the other end of the 300oHm twin lead. This one looks like it's R2. If it is, One side goes to the Outer of the 3 antenna leads marked LOC, and the other lead goes to the center lead. The center lead is the common lead for NORM and LOC.

Last edited:
I don't see any evidence of C-118 ever being there.

It's #30 in my linked pic sitting there in all its glory.

...but I'll be damned if I can find it on the schematic

I'm not at my home computer so I cant crop the PDF BUT locate V-9 in the schematic and C-118 runs to ground from there.

The unit I'm working on now is 39,XXX so the manual I'm using is the same as yours and it should be good.

Weird. I'll take another look at everything tonight but I'm pretty sure it ain't there :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2:

I'll check out the resistors on the antenna as well. I didn't really check out the area completely since I spotted the blown resistor and was thrown by how it was wired.

I was referring to the POST #2 Pic.

I found it on the schematic. It's part of the STEREO BEACON circuit. Looks almost like an afterthought, or someone got lazy and just added it to the list without changing any numbers. This is what threw me.

There is a change in the schematic between the 20001-29999 version and the 30001-49999 version. The earlier version extended the wire thru Z1 via pin 6 and into Z2 with no cap. The newer version deleted the wire between V9 and Z1, added the cap. There is a lead to S1 Section 5 rear on both. S1 is the Selector Switch.

The question is whether the Stereo Beacon is working as it should. If it is, I'd leave well enough alone. Fisher may have gone back to the original setup, (anything is possible). I'll check my 800 and see if it has the cap. It's a 32, or 33000 series. What's the serial on the unit in the other thread (the one with the tape tags ).

Larry

I just checked a pic of my 800C underside, and it doesn't have the cap either. But it is wired like the 20001-29999 version with regard to the STEREO BEACON. And it works. IMO, if it works, don't worry about it.

Larry

The unit with the numbered components is 36,XXX. The one I'm working on now is 39,XXX.

Hmmmmm: 33,XXX = no cap; 36,XXX = cap; 39,XXX no cap. I guess it depends on whose bench these ended up on at the factory.

We'll see if it works as it should. Won't be till a few weeks down the road. All the tubes are out and I'm cleaning everything up now a bit at a time. If not, I guess we'll revisit this issue...

As always, much obliged.

Back
Top Bottom