Fisher 500b restore question

strictlyhous

I have searched through the AK forums about the Fisher 500b receiver and have basically read that it is imperative that the unit be restored with new cap, diodes ect due to the age of the parts as well as it's incompatabilty with 110 volt electrical current (standard voltage currents were 100v back in the 60's)

My question is could I avoid a cap/diode restore if I have a voltage limiter? I can plug my receiver into my voltage limiter and limit the current to 100 volts. Would that make a difference? My receiver needed some cleaning but it works very well and is all original. It's a very early model (low serial number) The chassis has the tubes in front of the transformers

I do not want to cause any damage to the receiver but I also do not want to change anything if it doesn't need to be changed.

Any thoughts on a limiter?

Many guys run there vintage tube gear on a variac. Modern house current today is usually around 120v but in some cases can be even higher. Gear from that vintage were intended to run on 110-115v. If you look at the chassis where your serial number is it will say operating voltage.

Regardless, that is not the reason for requiring some service. It is simply the circuit components exceeding their life span. Capacitors dry up and fail. There are better more reliable diodes and rectifiers available today. It is not a bad idea to operate your Fisher at 115v but it is not a substitute for an updating.

Back
Top Bottom