Restore my CR-2020?

joehalo

I have a mint condotion CR-2020. Best sounding receiver I've ever had. I'm hoping to find someone near the Dayton, OH area to perform the service bulletins and maybe replace anything else that is known to fail on these units. I just want to enjoy this unit for years to come. Anyone know of someone who would do this?

To answer your title: YES!
To answer your text: no idea.

Tell the technician to take a look at the service bulletin. There are three and two of them must be performed (resistors and transistors).

All of them need to happen, power switch one as well. I just did one for a gent up here in Canada, you should tackle it yourself with some direction if you know how to solder.

I can solder but I'm not good. I'm afraid to ruin my favorite receiver. Do you think these bulletins are too hard for a beginner?

The 2020 has densely packed circuit boards that are difficult to get at. Definitely not a beginners unit.

^^^^

Avionic would be on my short list of techs to send a CR-2020 to. I recommend having it refurbished.

No more so than any other receiver- the PS boards are the bare minimum to redo and perform the bulletins on. There is also a 2sc458 transistor on each amp board that should be swapped as well as the pots for bias and a fusistor on the amp boards if you so desire. You could gain match new transistors and replace the differential inputs if the DC offset is high. Really not complicated once you start working on them- it's not a B1 or B2.

Last edited:
I have a mint condotion CR-2020. Best sounding receiver I've ever had. I'm hoping to find someone near the Dayton, OH area to perform the service bulletins and maybe replace anything else that is known to fail on these units. I just want to enjoy this unit for years to come. Anyone know of someone who would do this?

Unless you are the original owner, the receiver needs to be looked at to confirm those updates even need to be done. Those updates may have already been taken care of.

I can solder but I'm not good. I'm afraid to ruin my favorite receiver. Do you think these bulletins are too hard for a beginner?

Then it would be wise leaving it to someone who is.

Day late... If I'd seen this yesterday, I could have picked it up and done it for you. We drove right through, with a stop at the air force museum.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Man that would have been some crazy luck. I'm trying to find a tech near Dayton with no luck. How did you like the air force museum?

Man that would have been some crazy luck. I'm trying to find a tech near Dayton with no luck. How did you like the air force museum?

Museum was great - Huge!! Where else can you see an SR-71, B-1B, B-2, 2x F111 and a pile of other F/A aircraft under the same roof?? Loved it - we'll have to return when we have more time.

We do get to Port Huron & Detroit now and then, if you want to ship it or meet me there sometime.

IMG_20141019_114750.jpg

IMG_20141019_114816.jpg

IMG_20141019_114832.jpg

IMG_20141019_114843.jpg

Don't know if you guys can tell from my crappy pics if the mods have been done or not. I can see that the jumper wire is not installed. If I can't find anyone local I may just ship it to you 4seatPilot. I'm still a little salty we didn't get one of the space shuttles here at the air force museum.

From the pics it appears to be stock, you have to remove the horizontal board to see if the fusistors were replaced on the vertical board however- the heatsinks are underrated so they need to be replaced with something better.

Don't know if you guys can tell from my crappy pics if the mods have been done or not. I can see that the jumper wire is not installed. If I can't find anyone local I may just ship it to you 4seatPilot. I'm still a little salty we didn't get one of the space shuttles here at the air force museum.

Looks stock to me. Hasn't been touched. The condition of the vertically oriented main-cap board will depend on how many hours it has on it. It appears to me that it's relatively low hours - which would be good. The heat from those under-rated resistors bakes the traces right off the board. I had to do some extensive repair to one unit.

Does the bottom of the board where the transistor are look normal?

Yep... looks normal, and original.

Space Shuttle... yeah, that was cool to see when we walked into that hanger, but a little disappointing when we got up to it that it was only the training unit.

We'll definitely be back though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom