The New Doctor Who

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
The 1st episode with the 12th Doctor aired today ... This doctor is Scottish - and much as I liked the 7th Doctor, Sylvester McCoy, this Peter Capaldi character really has a new take on the 2000 year old Time Lord ...

Anyway, we prepped with some pub food - a nice pot of rice, a Steak and Ale meat pie (we buy a couple dozen of them frozen at the Richmond Va Scottish festival each fall, and have 2 every now and then), a shot of HP sauce, a nice chocolate stout, and a wee dram a bit later ...

They call it the 8th season, but its actually the 34th season if you take the long look at it ...

Tonight's episode played a few hours ago in the UK, its stunning - enjoy the show!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stout_8736.jpg
    Stout_8736.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Steak-Ale-Rice_8742.jpg
    Steak-Ale-Rice_8742.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Ooh, off to download it now. I'm a big Doctor Who fan, and have seen just about every episode still in existance. Many of the early ones are lost though, so I've not seen those. I've really enjoyed the re-boot of the series, and its actually what got me into watching the old episodes too. I can appreciate it for what it is, same as I can appreciate the original Star Trek series, which is perhaps about as cheesy.

I watched it with the family.
Here's to hoping the new direction pays off with some solid plotlines.
I think the new doctor has what it takes, but I'm not so sure about his companion.

Matt Smith was such a great Doctor that I felt the new guy had some big shoes to fill. I'm fairly new to the show, Matt is the only Doctor I'd known. He's(Capaldi) certainly taking it in a new direction, no doubt what the producers wanted. I'd say he's a solid actor, maybe more nuanced, and it's going to take a few shows to get to know him.

Last edited:
I think it's much too early to be able to say whether Capaldi will be a good Doctor. But his introductory story was... not so good. Too disjointed. No real plot. Hopefully the next few will be better.

I think it's much too early to be able to say whether Capaldi will be a good Doctor. But his introductory story was... not so good. Too disjointed. No real plot. Hopefully the next few will be better.

Intro stories generally are - they kind of goof around in a daze for a bit - but I have good hopes for Capaldi too! We're looking forward to watching the next few episodes unwind ... tho I think poor Clara has had her time in the show and will be faded away ... wonder who's next?

I found myself liking Peter Capaldi right away. So far David Tenant is my favorite doctor of this new series though I did like Matt Smith and Chris Eccleston.

Matt Smith was such a great Doctor that I felt the new guy had some big shoes to fill. I'm fairly new to the show, Matt is the only Doctor I'd known. He's(Capaldi) certainly taking it in a new direction, no doubt what the producers wanted. I'd say he's a solid actor, maybe more nuanced, and it's going to take a few shows to get to know him.

Matt was very good. The youngest person to play the Doctor but somehow he occasionally managed to look 900 years old (I think he was 900 in that face). He just had this tired/worn expression that he would pull out now and again to remind you how much he had been through.

But he also had huge shoes to fill. David Tennant was my favorite Doctor. Nobody seemed to be able to capture the hope/joy and furry of the Doctor the way David did. David followed Eccleston who was good but not excellent. Eccleston did reboot the series in a very respectable way. Sometimes I catch his episodes and my memory had Tennant in the roll. Capaldi may be the best known actor to play the Doctor in a recurring roll. I wasn't trilled with his first episode but I know I'm really going to enjoy watching his Doctor develop.

My wife is a big Doctor Who fan, and she's watched the first episode 3 times now! She thinks a lot of Clara's difficulty with a new doctor was for the audience's adjustment to a new doctor. A lot of the conversations in the episode were apparently to help remind the audience that the doctor was actually quite old, or to help Clara/audience adjust.

Sometimes we have to remember that Doctor Who was designed as (and technically remains) a kids' show, though one intentionally made for adults to enjoy as well. As such, sometimes they feel the need to add a bit more exposition than some viewers would find strictly necessary. Torchwood was the more adult sandbox in the Who universe.

I'm not sure about that, I don't think it's a kid's show anymore, too scary at times. It's partly a show made for the adults who watched it as a kid.

The newer shows are too dark for young children. The Day Of the Doctor? The last David Tennant, where he regenerates? Not for kids.

I was around for the 1st Dr Who with William Hartnell. It was a children's show put on between 5-6pm "Children's Hour." Back then us kid's loved it, no computer generated effects. When a Dr regenerated it was fade out one face and fade in a new face. Probably my favorite Dr was Tom Baker, had a great sense of humour. To think the Daleks were conceived in the first series and had us kids going around yelling exterminate!!! Today they can do so much with computer generated graphics, eg standing at the door of the Tardis with a nebula below, but we still loved with its clunky characters and I still love it. It was scary for the kids in the 60's and it is still scary for kids today. Though kids today are used to seeing so much more gore today. Anyway give Peter Capaldi a few shows to settle in.

Back
Top Bottom