Which Kenwood?

Overundr1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Thought I would drop by the kenwood forum for this one. My monster receiver collection is about complete, sx1250, sx1280, g8000,4300 quad,2275,cr2020(soon), luxman. All that is left is a kenwood. Note that almost every model is one notch or so below the unobtainiums which although nice are getting silly pricewise. Here's the rub though, I am NOT a fan of power pack darlingtons. Which one to go after for a restore, so hard to figure out. Lets sort of leave out the 9600 unless there are compelling reasons for its inclusion.
Opinions?
-Lee

The kenwood model eleven gx 125wpc beautiful blue illumination almost two feet across a massive monster receiver. weighs in around 46lbs. i had a model eleven g a long time ago it was stolen from me someday i will find another.

also it has a discrete amplifier section all transistor i hate stk and darlington powerpacks myself. such a pita imho.

Actually there are some nice Kenwoods that were just listed on Ebay.
Kenwood Super Eleven, Kenwood Eleven II and Kenwood Eleven III.

The KR-9400 should certainly be considered. The KR-9050 is the big-dog as far as power output in the Kenwood line, but tends to go for top dollar.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the models using power output packs...if they were so prone to destruction, they'd all have been destroyed years ago. Since that's obviously not the case, they must be a lot tougher than most might assume. But heeding your concerns, the two models I have listed above use discrete devices.

I vote for the Eleven GX also. It's got clean sound, great looks, plenty of power, and it's fairly easy to work on. I found one for $250 on CL earlier this year and thought I was paying too much, but it was so clean and new looking (paper warning tag still on cord) I had to do it.

I use it nearly every day and think I got a bargain now.:music:

Time to peruse the show me your Kenwood thread. Interesting about the darlingtons EW, not the headache to backwards repair ala the 1280,1980 then?
And thanks for the positive replies too I might add.
-Lee

The KR-8010 is another one that would warrant your consideration too.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't consider the KR-9600. Very reliable unit. If there are problems, than these units have been driven excessively.
And that kills every unit.
KR-9400 is also fine. Or KR-9000G, KR-10000III, SuperEleven (black beauty), 8010.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom