Reasonable arm replace for Thorens TD125AB Mark 1 with TP14 Arm

kwingylee

Guys:
Years ago, I picked up and working Thorens TD125AB Mk1 with the (EMT lookalike) Thorens TP-14 arm. It currently has a NOS Shure V15 type 4 on it.
I have never been impressed with the sound of this and am wondering what is a reasonable replacement arm for the TP-14....

Should I get a new Morech RB-303? Or try to get a period Shure SME3009? Or even take an S arm off Japanese tables ala Pioneer and Technics?

Maybe someone can help me get the best out of the TP-14?

PS... I just found an earlier thread asking essentially the same question.... The SME 3009 II is the one to go with? I recently missed a local deal on one (darn)!

Last edited:
Man, those SME arms are really pricey on ebay... holy smokes. The Morech RB303 looking better and better.. what about JELCO?
Maybe I should just just sell mine and get a TD125 with a SME3009 arm already built in... probably cheaper

Last edited:
Guys:
Years ago, I picked up and working Thorens TD125AB Mk1 with the (EMT lookalike) Thorens TP-14 arm. It currently has a NOS Shure V15 type 4 on it.
I have never been impressed with the sound of this and am wondering what is a reasonable replacement arm for the TP-14....

Maybe someone can help me get the best out of the TP-14?

The TP14 is said to have an effective mass of around 15 gr., so it would appear to be too heavy an arm for the super high compliance Shure. If you want to stay with the cartridge, get a SME III–cheaper and better than 3009 series arms and an ideal match for high compliance cartridges.

I'm using a SME 3009 Series III on it and it is a great combo. Change the wire on it and it gets even better.

Just get the damn 3009 II, you can wate for a good auction on a nice clean one in the box for about $400-$450.

Rega RB30x new would be the one I'd go for. Either that or the Roksan Nima. The SME3009 (and I have one) limits you for cartridges a bit, and to my ears is only the equal at best of the other two, which are far more flexible.

Rega RB30x new would be the one I'd go for. Either that or the Roksan Nima. The SME3009 (and I have one) limits you for cartridges a bit, and to my ears is only the equal at best of the other two, which are far more flexible.

Better than the Jelco?

Well you never quite mention a budget, so I am working with the idea that there is some flexibility.

If i were shopping for a bang for the buck arm, I would consider the Classic offering from Audiomods. It is their least expensive arm, but at 455 pounds, probably around $600. But they do a fabulous job using the Rega arm tube and upgrading the bearings, the bearing structure, and a continous run of wiring from heads hell clips to RCA ends. Lot's of value in this arm. the downside is you have to order it and wait till its completed. But still, a finely crafted arm for a very reasonable price.

s3cutout500.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

Well you never quite mention a budget, so I am working with the idea that there is some flexibility.

If i were shopping for a bang for the buck arm, I would consider the Classic offering from Audiomods. It is their least expensive arm, but at 455 pounds, probably around $600. But they do a fabulous job using the Rega arm tube and upgrading the bearings, the bearing structure, and a continous run of wiring from heads hell clips to RCA ends. Lot's of value in this arm. the downside is you have to order it and wait till its completed. But still, a finely crafted arm for a very reasonable price.

Regards
Mister Pig

Looks like you can save a bit by making it yourself, they will sell all the parts including the Rega parts. Vedddy in-terestinggg. Wonder how long it takes to drill all those holes....

Back
Top Bottom