Preparing for a Kenwood KA-601 recap

Skauneboy

I'm awaiting the arrival of a Kenwood KA-601 and would appreciate some help in regards to what caps are in the signal path. According to the instruction manual the amp is DC Coupled with the exception of the phono input which has one cap in the signal path. Looking in the service manual however, there seems to be atleast two bi-polar caps in the preamp section that are directly in the signal path which leads me to believe that there might be even more caps that would benefit from being exchanged with "audio grade" caps. So I'm hoping someone in the know could help me identify these.

Also, are there any other parts that I should swap? Any known dodgy transistors for example?

Schematic
Service Manual

Thanks

I am planning on recapping the KA-601 in the near future. I wonder if you have finished yours yet.

Last edited:
Hi Lads,

Sorry, I know it is an old thread, but I'm wondering about hot it goes with the recap of the Kenwood KA-601. I have one for about 3 weeks that I've got recently (paid a bit too much on eBay but Ok, Europe / UK's prices).

I have some scratch sounds with the knobs (might sort with contact cleaner) and I was wondering how much of a job would be for the recap (I'm a newbie).

Also, when I change to the Phono 1 / Phono 2, I can hear some kind of an "engine" noise, like a hum and kind of "click" (Jaysus, how can I explain this).

Anyway, any feedback on recap and pictures will be great!

Back
Top Bottom