SMAC July 2014

jmathers

The July SMAC meet will be held at Ed's place on Saturday, July 19th. See my email for details. Hope you can make it out!:banana::banana::banana:

If there's some equipment you'd like to bring, please feel free to discuss here. We need a complete system so I figured we better make sure we have all the components prior to the meet. Hopefully we'll have enough non-vacationing attendees to pull something together.

Man, I gotta work, so I won't be able to make it. :pity:

Too bad for me as Ed is a great host with a sweet place for a meet. That meet we had there a while back was a lot of fun.

I am planning on being there. Pretty sure a couple of the west side regulars will be in attendance.

Is there a need for a deck system or just something to set up in the living room?

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. :D

I don't think I can make this one. However, if anybody needs anything from the system here for the deck (or wherever), I'll leave the back door open. :D

(Good luck with the cat ... )

I'll leave the back door open. :D

(Good luck with the cat ... )

If you leave me some pulled pork & pickles in the fridge and maybe a couple of pretzel buns and a little butter I could stop by and feed myself & your cat.

I am planning on being there. Pretty sure a couple of the west side regulars will be in attendance.

Is there a need for a deck system or just something to set up in the living room?

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. :D

We need a system for the living room. I am hoping people can bring equipment that they want others to evaluate, they want to demo and sell, etc. That is what we did last time and it worked well. I do have a stereo that I can put together, but it is solid state and lacks a decent turntable and LPs.

The deck stereo is in place and yes, the weather forecast looks gorgeous! :banana:

I have some things to bring but unfortunately my shoulder is screwed up and there will be no heavy lifting in my immediate future.

I have a set of Polk Model 7A speakers and stands that would sound nice with basically any amp. (I cannot lift these but could get them over there with someone's help).

I also have a Graham Slee Era Gold V phonostage (I could lift this:) but I'd need to plug it in to my car for the drive over;-)).

I also have an AES AE-3 preamp (I could be persuaded to lift this:)).

I also have my Lenco L70 with a Sumiko MMT arm (finally finished the plinth) but could use a better cartridge. (Definitely can't lift this puppy!).

And an AES Superamp - EL34-based tube amp. (Nicht heben kann).

Last edited:
Jeff, Shoot me a PM if you need a hand (and by hand I mean shoulder) or want to share a ride up...I think your on the way anyways.

If you leave me some pulled pork & pickles in the fridge and maybe a couple of pretzel buns and a little butter I could stop by and feed myself & your cat.

Sorry, the cat ate it all. (And a good thing too, as there isn't much of a kitchen at the moment.)

Y'all have fun at Ed's on Saturday. Maybe next time ...

I can add a nice CD Player to that system a Cambridge 840C.

Also can drag along a pair of Era Design D4 speakers. They were designed by Michael Kelly of Aerial Acoustics fame.

005-51_zpsea113f19.jpg

Last edited:
I have some things to bring but unfortunately my shoulder is screwed up and there will be no heavy lifting in my immediate future.

I have a set of Polk Model 7A speakers and stands that would sound nice with basically any amp. (I cannot lift these but could get them over there with someone's help).

I also have a Graham Slee Era Gold V phonostage (I could lift this:) but I'd need to plug it in to my car for the drive over;-)).

I also have an AES AE-3 preamp (I could be persuaded to lift this:)).

I also have my Lenco L70 with a Sumiko MMT arm (finally finished the plinth) but could use a better cartridge. (Definitely can't lift this puppy!).

And an AES Superamp - EL34-based tube amp. (Nicht heben kann).

Wieviele Male Sie gewarnt worden sind. Heben Sie mit Ihrer Rückseite nicht Ihr Gehirn an.

Got to pass on this one. Sounds like a great meet in the making!

It looks like the stereo gear is coming together. Bob is also bringing speakers and amps.

A turntable and matching pre seem to be the big missing ingredients. Are those covered?

I have them but not of the quality that y'all are accustomed to. :music:

The yard is ready.
The garage is ready.
The snacks are ready -- thanks to Paula
Friday I will take care of the house and meat for grilling, then we will be good to go. :banana:

I can add a nice CD Player to that system a Cambridge 840C.

Also can drag along a pair of Era Design D4 speakers. They were designed by Michael Kelly of Aerial Acoustics fame.

005-51_zpsea113f19.jpg

How efficient are these speaks? Any idea?

I say bring them out. And the cd player.

Bob will bring a nice small wattage amp. Ed has a couple pairs of speakers too.

I'll bring my AES preamp. If I had a more portable turntable I'd bring that but I think the Lenco is too much for me to manage. We can probably do without a turntable, right?

Jeff

How efficient are these speaks? Any idea?

Jeff

Not very would be my feeling....but google research says:

Measured sensitivity: 83.5dB/2.83V/m. Nominal impedance: 6 ohms. Nominal music power handling: 50–150W.

I have a pair of Klipsch Heresy's that I just picked up that might be more suitable for low watt amps. They work but I have not really listened to them.

We can probably do without a turntable, right?

Jeff

Ha ha ha, are playing the straight man or do you really want my opinion on that ageless question?

That's pretty inefficient - probably inadequate for Bob's small wattage amp.

Evidently Ed has a pair of Polk Monitor 10s and a pair of Klipsch Heresys. One of these pairs should suffice I imagine. Although I'm not sure if one of these will already be in the deck system.

Bob said he'll bring a set of speakers as well.

And, yes, I knew your answer to my TT question. I was hoping (cue sarcasm) the plethora of participants in this thread (un-cue sarcasm) would either confirm or deny my suspicion. I know Rob has a table that would work but he seems to be out of the loop at the moment.

It doesn't bother me (or Olson) if vinyl is not spun tomorrow. What about others?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom