Renkus Heinz SSD-1400

elitopus

Addicted Member
I can get 3 of these for 100 bucks (for all of them). I cant find any reviews of how they sound compared to ssd-1800 or 1801. Anyone?
They would be going on either 811 or 511 horns

Did you look at the RH site for specs?

Yeah they have a spec sheet that compares the SSD lineup. 1400,1800,1801,3300, and 3301. Its nice to have the specs but I can not find any reviews on the net.
The 1400 uses a smaller diaphragm than the 1800/1801. Besides that it looks like it meant for similar applications but with less power.
I am going to put a pair on my 511b horns and cross it over at 800hz and see how it sounds. These will probably end up with my Altec A7 rig and I'll get something beefier for my 817a cabinets

Careful, RH's lowest recommended crossover is 1000hz.

Which is one of the things I don't understand about their specs. They say lowest crossover point is 1khz but the freq response is 800hz-19khz. Also they tested it on a 800hz horn all the way down to 500hz.
Im hoping 5 watts doesn't kill them crossed over at 800hz. The plan is to use these with Altec 800hz crossovers I have
ca2afea28763c5a019ea91cbe547337b.jpg

I forget that you;re not giggin with a band and looking to throw rated power at them.

I think the fact they show usable response to 800 indicates you can operate them that low, you just have to be sure to de-rate the power spec accordingly.

The danger is over-excursion, and at 800 i think you have plenty of safety margin before you have to worry about that.

And we should also probably consider that since the data is in the form of a catalog page, it may be massaged a bit to help persuade a potential buyer to the next offering "up" the ladder.

I think those specs are also using R-H horns, and from the catalogs I've seen, they didn't offer a 1" horn rated for acoustic loading to 800Hz.

I think those specs are also using R-H horns, and from the catalogs I've seen, they didn't offer a 1" horn rated for acoustic loading to 800Hz.

I wonder if they made the 1800/1801 to use with Altec horns. Why else make a driver that goes down to 500hz when none of their own horns go down that far

It's a possibility that they were anticipating their drivers being used as replacements for other brands in existing installations. Also, Jonas Renkus worked at Altec on their compression drivers before branching off into Emilar and Renkus-Heinz. So...who knows?

Check the catalog pages closer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e5GN4V1Ekzpq8Bw&bvm=bv.99261572,d.cWw&cad=rja

The only thing RH was anticipating was building a LOT of speaker systems, and supplying other OEM speaker manufacturers. They weren't looking to replace anybody else's components. They(Emilar, and Jonas Renkus in the 70's/80's) were filling a sourly vacant niche in the high output pro/touring sound market, something Altec only dabbled in until too far into the game, it's part of what led to Altec's demise.

SSH-800 is a 1 inch throat 800hz horn

CBH-800, CBH-500, and SSH-500 were all available with a 2 inch to 1 inch adapter that maintains proper throat angle for the 1 inch drivers.

Last edited:
Useful info. I'd mis-read some of that horn information on previous scans of their catalogs.

Back
Top Bottom