Smart People Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how Smart or Dumb I or others may be be,I like what I like period!
This us just about as asinine as what you may say about what Rich or Poor like also and what's that got to do with anything anyways?
Variety is the "Spice of Life and what makes our lives different from others doesn't it and what makes us ALL unique in our own way.
Whether we are so called Rich/Poor or Smart/Dumb or whatever is basically it as it should be and what We like or don;t like is our Business and ours alone! Scientific BUNK otherwise:)

Jazz and Classical, as genres, are on the low end. I find that highly unlikely - those types of music are more abstract, which should correlate with high scores for whatever it is that the SAT measures. I also noted that the absolute top rated artist was Beethoven - Mozart and Bach weren't on the list, nor were Miles, Monk or Trane. Maybe they were all off the scale

JimJ[VT];8216264 said:
Selection bias makes me cry.

Yeah. I find the basic idea interesting, but the execution sucks. Take the AVERAGE ACT score of a selected university, then look at Facebook to find out what Facebook-posting students like...ugh.

Now, if this were done right...

Yeah. I find the basic idea interesting, but the execution sucks. Take the AVERAGE ACT score of a selected university, then look at Facebook to find out what Facebook-posting students like...ugh.

Now, if this were done right...

i-7441c18308489ffadeae597d6f28a1e8-bmi.bmp

Clearly!

Jazz and Classical, as genres, are on the low end. I find that highly unlikely - those types of music are more abstract, which should correlate with high scores for whatever it is that the SAT measures. I also noted that the absolute top rated artist was Beethoven - Mozart and Bach weren't on the list, nor were Miles, Monk or Trane. Maybe they were all off the scale
Seconded. What's so smart about Radiohead anyway? No offense, Radiohead fans, but I just fail to see the dots connecting a specific rock band with intelligence.

Really all it means is that some college with a relatively high 'average ' SAT score had more students liking Radiohead on Facebook than Beyonce.

BTW Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Beethoven and Mozart do not have Facebook pages to Like, do they? Elvis?

Oh great more evidence that I failed to live up to my potential :)
Take a grain or two of salt since it's skimmed from FB postings.

BTW Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Beethoven and Mozart do not have Facebook pages to Like, do they? Elvis?

Yes, all of them do, and most are very popular. Monk is the least popular with 687,000 likes. Elvis has the most at 12m.

Last edited:
JimJ[VT];8216473 said:

My son's assessment (he's not a statistician, but he is a PhD candidate in mathematics):
The main thing I gleaned from this is the broader the appeal, the larger the sample size, [and] the more average the SAT score.

The present analysis reminds me a bit of this:

http://www.tylervigen.com/

Correlations don't represent causality (the Prime Directive of Statistics). Correlations don't necessarily mean much of anything.

Seconded. What's so smart about Radiohead anyway? No offense, Radiohead fans, but I just fail to see the dots connecting a specific rock band with intelligence.

I love Radiohead and I am SMRAT.... LOL

Seriously though I do love Radiohead. Thom Yorke and his band mates are musical geniuses.

As for Jazz - the word that comes to mind is: dissonance. No disrespect to those who enjoy jazz.

Depends on they type of jazz. Avant Garde Jazz - yes. Others no.

As far as Radiohead - don't know but they seem like a lot of the other bands out there who are so full of themselves. They are not musical geniuses - Frank Zappa, yes - Paul Weller - hell yes - and there are many others. people who put out music for the sake of music.

You want to compare Thom to Ian Dury? Ian Dury was a musician, a poet, a painter. He has been called a renaissance man - look here - http://www.iandury.co.uk/

Naa no need to compare - Thom is better. If I were Thom Yorke Id be full of myself too. They rock! Cheers.

Well, I'm 57, was born in '57, & have an IQ of 57- And I like Poppy Bubblegum, so THERE ! N'yah ! (grin)

I saw some stuff on a teacher's desk in grade school that I don't think I was SPOSED to see-I was labelled "High-Functioning Imbecile" & this one kid, w/an IQ of 60, was labelled "Moron".... Dammitt, just 3 more lousy points...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom