Yamaha cr-2020 refurb time

:tresbon: A party receiver indeed! The dull tuner section is the only negative thing about these beauties. Can I bring mine over for the update?:D

:music:Of course, the tuner is great. The tunes are so much better than the hockey commentators:D Headphones on tonight and no Denis Potvin :banana:
P.S. your CR600 may be delayed due to storm on Wed.

I like the look of the LED strip for the dial but I was wondering if there was a slightly weaker or dimmer one available? The one pictured seems a bit too bright for my taste unless the photo is making it look brighter than it actually is.

BK......I am about to install some LED's on a cr2020........when you say 'lamp feed'....which pins did you use? AFAICT there are a few 'lamp feeds'.........
Please indicate which pins you used.....thanks...........

I have a thread running in 'vintage solid state'.

Great thread ! bktheking, looks like you know a thing or 2 about YAMMYS.. hyfry HERE !. I have a ca-610ii protection relay non functional ?? . The old parts list doesn't have the cross reference part/device number " ie. TR574 TR575 TR576 TR577 TR578 ? I'd rather not desolder everything just, to determine device number, I'm practically blind ! Any info on the actual part numbers or reference sheet would be helpful. I'm not the sharpest tool, in the shed, but I'm deadly, with a solder gun.
:) BTW relay clicks functional when grounded.. a good will find, just need to get that relay to come on in 3.6 secs

Great thread ! bktheking, looks like you know a thing or 2 about YAMMYS.. hyfry HERE !. I have a ca-610ii protection relay non functional ?? . The old parts list doesn't have the cross reference part/device number " ie. TR574 TR575 TR576 TR577 TR578 ? I'd rather not desolder everything just, to determine device number, I'm practically blind ! Any info on the actual part numbers or reference sheet would be helpful. I'm not the sharpest tool, in the shed, but I'm deadly, with a solder gun.
:) BTW relay clicks functional when grounded.. a good will find, just need to get that relay to come on in 3.6 secs

Start a new thread..:thmbsp:

Nice, thanks for the pics. I recently had mine completely redone by a local shop, all the electrolytic caps, a lot of transistors, the relay and most of the parts on the power supply.

The only way to get some control over low volume on the 2020 was to add a dual pot switch on the rear of the unit not unlike a gain control on the Yamaha amps, I keep it at 12. The speakers its has been connected to run between 99db and 104db efficiency. Very clear sounding Receiver compared to anything.

As someone else mentioned, the tuner on the 2020 not only pulls in the stations, the sound quality is excellent compared to anything. The tuner on mine did require calibration.

I hope you enjoy your new unit as much as I have mine over the years.

It's getting a Dual 604 TT connected to it as a Christmas present for my teenage daughter (it lives in her room). Funny how the teens think vinyl is the coolest thing going.

Last edited:
3. I don't like that these units vs the 2040's don't have a lit dial, the thing looks dead IMO. I got to googling LED strips and it just so happens that mouser now carries a new product made by JKL industries called the ZFS LED ribbon. It's made in sections so you can cut it down. Basically, if you order the led strip for $16 you get enough to do 2 2020's- handy for guys like 4seatpilot who own 10 2020's and 20 1020's :D. They run off of a 12 volt supply, I tapped into the lamp feed. I now have to match the meters with new leds- that's the part that is left. The ZFS strips have an adhesive backing, simply cut it in half (so you are left with 2 equal lengths) and you are ready to go to it.

1. Solder 2 wires to the strip.
2. Remove the faceplate so you can gain access to the lip above the dial.
3. Remove the adhesive backing and stick it to the faceplate.
4. Run the wires between the meters and the chassis.
5. Solder the leads to the lamp feed, one red one white off of the cap board.

That's pretty much all there is to it. If you wanted to get fancy you could affix something to diffuse the light perfectly. At sight level you can tell the leds are there. My receiver will be low to the ground so I'll never see it.

img2012121300379.jpg

Now this is what i'm talking about, a dial you can actually see! I'm certain this will work for any 20 series. If it's too long you can cut off a length, they are 2 inches each.

img2012121300383.jpg
Nice job , did you manage to get the meters illuminated ?

Hi 4 , i too have a 2020 and like the way BK has illuminated the dial , you mention using Lee Valley to supply the LED strip without the use of a separate power supply ?
So my question is, where on the receiver would you connect the the LED strip ?
My 2020 is the US version and i use a step down transformer as i live in the UK (240V)
BK also mentions that he soldered a couple of wires to the LED strip & then in turn solder the wires to the lamp feed ?
Is there enough power from the lamp feed to illuminate the Strip ? my guess not but i`m not an electronics engineer !
Any thoughts on this would greatly appreciated.

RedEarth

Yes, overundr1 has my 2020 now, it's still working perfectly. Use the same 12v ac feed that feeds the lamps to feed the led strip. Lee Valley is a local Ottawa company that sells these strips for under counter illumination- most hardware stores carry it now.

:) to light mod
Should hear what a full rebuild on a CR-2020 does with Cornwalls and Forte's in the same room.
Another note of interest, although I too do fm alignments BK is in a different league, this unit's FM performance is OUTSTANDING.
-Lee

Okay, so I may be waaaay off base here, both because I'm trying to revive a thread this old AND because I'm so dim (pun intended) when it comes to electricity; but I DESPERATELY want to expand the lighting capacity of my 2020 to match what I've seen other members have done to theirs in this thread. If I am way off base, forgive me, but I've read and read and searched and searched, and really all I know definitively is a) this can be done, and b) I can't seem to get my head around everything for me to get comfortable enough to take a shot at this.

So, here's my question to any and all AK'ers: is anyone willing to walk me through (via PM or any other means) this process? I mean like hold my hand - answer questions, even stupid ones :crazy:?

I want warm white LED's in all three of the meter windows as well as the entire tuner dial. Anybody willing to help me with this? I'm an IT professional and am not afraid of circuit boards or cracking open cases and such, but I have very limited knowledge or skill when it comes to electricity and diodes and resistors and.....well, you get the picture. I am a patient man and can definitely find wires, cut wires, splice other wires in, etc. I'm hoping I can buy a solution and simply do that, find, cut, splice.

Is any of that reasonable? Anyone???

Thanks to any and all, in advance. I LOVE this site!

Back
Top Bottom