New to me Yamaha CR-1020 with LEDS

orionkc

Smooth
Just recently picked this up with original box and owners manual. A couple of the dial lights were out and my Buddy Genxvintage had some nice LEDS on hand so here ya go....The case is mint. Faceplate is mint. Functions as new. Nice piece and sounds fantastic with my Parasound and MGIIa's. The fat little guy in the pic is enlightened too. Thanks Travis :thmbsp:
121_2103.jpg

121_2114.jpg

121_2115.jpg

121_2110.jpg

121_2116.jpg

Congratulations!

Wonderful receiver; I just happen to have one too....:music:

Are those LEDs Green or blue? I am not so sure I can tell.

The four metered leds are bright white and the tuner dial led is turquoise. Pics are deceiving...

Last edited:
That is really nice!

I have a CR-1020 that is also in great condition just like yours and all the lights are out on mine but i've been thinking of LED'ing it either blue, red, or orange. IDK which one to choose though, LOL.

Beautiful. How does your receiver sound? Does it have good bass? I have one and not really impressed but at the same time very impressed with the clarity. I think it needs restoring.

How complicated was the process? I have a CR-2020 with a few lights out. Been thinking of going LED but have no experience with soldering.

Does it still have the tinted little pieces of glass in front of the light bulbs or were they removed?

They were all removed. I didn't do it myself but I do know he removed them.
He also used aluminum foil so the leds would diffuse the light better.

Hi, I'm reviving an old thread.

I want to do LEDs in my CR-1020 like shown in orionkc's pic.

121_2103.jpg

Would anyone please let me know where I can get a ready to install set?

Thank you.

the only things you need are the leds (3mm diameter, bigger will not fit in the dial pointer...) and some resistors for dropping the dc voltage. You can try different resistors for different brightness, while monitoring the current so it does not go over what the leds are specified for.
I haven't seen complete sets yet, but maybe they do exist...
I did my CR-820 with warm-white leds, the color came out pretty much like original.

the only things you need are the leds (3mm diameter, bigger will not fit in the dial pointer...) and some resistors for dropping the dc voltage. You can try different resistors for different brightness, while monitoring the current so it does not go over what the leds are specified for.
I haven't seen complete sets yet, but maybe they do exist...
I did my CR-820 with warm-white leds, the color came out pretty much like original.

Thank you for your info.

Would you please kindly share what specific LEDs and resistors you used? I have to order all this online, since the demise of RS has left a void here on the island as far as electronics bits are concerned. I'm content to go warm white like you did - I just want to get the rest of this face lit up, and since I'm gonna be in there, I'm going to do all five at one time and a Deoxit treatment all around while I'm at it. Please let me know.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'm in Switzerland and got the leds from the UK : here is the link :
http://bright-components.co.uk/epag...Path=/Shops/950004269/Products/warmwhite3mm10
I see they now have 1.8mm ones, that might be useful for the dial pointer, not much space in there. (Edit : they don't give a color choice for those, so better stick with the same all round...)
What I did is I used pins L1 and L4 (L2 and L3 are just pins for the series connection) with a DC voltage of around 20 volts. (this is for the CR-820 -- the CR-1020 might be a bit different, please check !)
I used a 1 watt 250 ohm resistor (actually 4 1000 ohm 1/4 watt in parallel hehe) to run 4 leds in parallel, with one pair of wires going to the meters. (I put 2 leds where normally there is one bulb in between two meters) The current draw works out 63mA for the 4 leds in parallel.
And 2x270 ohm resistors in series (1/4 watt I think) to run the one led in the pointer dial, giving it 28mA (max for the led is 30mA).
The brightness like this is nice and even.
Oh, what I did also is remove the black sticky tape from in front of the lamp housing and replaced it with thick aluminum foil, glued on.
Hold on, I'll fetch my phone on which I have some pictures.
Please do keep in mind mine is a CR-820.....

Last edited:
making the assemblies:
the leds have the lens sanded off to give more diffusion.
they are glued in with 2-component epoxy.

cr-820 leds15.jpg

inside the meter housings. note the double led has to come in from the front.
I then glued the aluminum foil where the black tape was.

cr-820 leds14.jpg

checking the current (thats for 4 leds in parallel !)
max for each is 30 mA so they are running very safe here.

I'm running the dial pointer one at 28 mA, with its own resistor.

cr-820 leds10.jpg

the resistor assembly : 4 x 1k ohm in parallel for the 4 leds in parallel....(why 4 resistors ? better use just one with a bigger watt rating ! but thats what I had...)
and two 270 ohms in series for the dial pointer...
(the negative is common to all leds)
(I know I know it's all hanging in the air not very pretty, but it's quite rigid so I'm not worried...)

cr-820 leds11.jpg

I'm very happy with the result.
And I did give the red line a freshen-up, it was all faded from sunlight.

cr-820 leds13.jpg cr-820 leds12.jpg

I'll make a separate thread about all this plus the recap when it's done.
And sorry Orionkc for the thread hijack...

Last edited:
making the assemblies:
the leds have the lens sanded off to give more diffusion.
they are glued in with 2-component epoxy.

View attachment 699721

inside the meter housings. note the double led has to come in from the front.
I then glued the aluminum foil where the black tape was.

View attachment 699722

checking the current (thats for 4 leds in parallel !)
max for each is 30 mA so they are running very safe here.

I'm running the dial pointer one at 28 mA, with its own resistor.

View attachment 699723

the resistor assembly : 4 x 1k ohm in parallel for the 4 leds in parallel....(why 4 resistors ? better use just one with a bigger watt rating ! but thats what I had...)
and two 270 ohms in series for the dial pointer...
(the negative is common to all leds)
(I know I know it's all hanging in the air not very pretty, but it's quite rigid so I'm not worried...)

View attachment 699724

I'm very happy with the result.
And I did give the red line a freshen-up, it was all faded from sunlight.

View attachment 699726 View attachment 699725

I'll make a separate thread about all this plus the recap when it's done.
And sorry Orionkc for the thread hijack...

Wow, dude! Thank you very much for that detailed 'how to'. I really do appreciate it.

Time to get those LEDs ordered so I can get this little project done. I'll update here in a few days when all the parts have arrived.

Again, I appreciate you walking me through it. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom