Now, if this don't beat all!

crouse

Poorly known member
Subscriber
On page 220 of the January Absolute Sound is a piece written by a man who claims to be able to identify the music on a record by simply looking at the grooves and he gives examples of having done it without having seen the records before hand, including an appearance with George Solti on a British TV show.

Even if he does have this "special" ability, what's the point? I mean, what practical benefit is there? :scratch2: :screwy:

He says in the article that there is no practical use, other than wowing people at cocktail parties. I'm amazed by what humans can do.

There have been a number of people over the years that could do that. I remember a fellow on TV, 30 plus years ago doing that very same thing.

Best Regards,
TerryO

There have been a number of people over the years that could do that. I remember a fellow on TV, 30 plus years ago doing that very same thing.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Heck, could be the same guy.

LP indentity

I can do better. Just play it and I can tell you if it classical, jazz, or rock.
Easy Peasy.

Paul

Best Regards,
TerryO

Could it have been on the show "That's Incredible"? I remember that too.

Bet he could not id the Shure audio test record. When I was in the audio retail industry a number of my sales persons were from Harvard and UMass and into classical music in an insane way. On Saturdays they would gather around and play name that piece. At first I could sort of keep up but then when they were warmed up and getting insanely competitive they would start betting on iding the piece, recording, orchestra, etc. in 1 to 3 notes. There were some who could do it in the 95+% range. On a good Saturday the ultimate winner could walk away with a couple,etc of hundred $.

I remember when VCR Tapes first came out, people trying to look at the tape, held up to the light (as if it were film) to see what was on it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom