'Dead' sound out of left speakers on my Akai AA-1030.

Tree sounds

Look deep into the vinyl.
Hello everyone here at AK. I'm new and I was hoping this wasn't going to be my fist post. But I'm in need of some advice.
So i just scored this Akai from a dude on craigslist. It's pretty, but the sound is super low on the left speaker. Only audible when the balance is all the way to the left. And its a medium volume when the volume is turned to the highest setting. Both channels have this issue, and I've tried it on three different speakers. Same problem. I found lots of info on bad channels, but not much on the issue I'm having. I already order Deoxit, cleaned the hell out of the amp, and its still having this issue. Do I have a bad speaker relay? Help a brother out.
Thanks everyone.

Hello friend of the friendless. A regular Robin Hood I'm sure.
Well at the moment i do not have an adapter for the headphones port to size down phones, but thats a great question. I think I'll run out an buy one right now.
Also I've checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine, no breaks in them. But on second thought one fuse looked a bit curved or worn. Possibly thats the issue.
I'll get back to you after the headphone test.
Thanks.

Does it have a stereo/mono switch or a mode reverse? If so, try them to see if it stays put, moves, or switches sides. At least that will give you some idea of where to start looking.

Update número uno:
So the sound is fine in both sides of my head phones. Thanks for the picture, I just downloaded the service Manual and am about to test my new volt meter on it.

Yes it does have a stereo/mono switch (button) but I'm not seeing any difference in the voltage with it on or off. Both left speakers of channel a and b have a consistently lower voltage then the right speakers.
I'm finding I have 30mV when following the directions on the service manual. I've posted that page below.
So any suggestions for a noobie SS nerd at this point?
Thanks for the help, this is my first attempt at fixing (or even owning) a old school receiver.
Peace.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12
I gave it a second cleaning. No dice, I did see a possibly weak solder connection on the underside of the main amplifier P.C. Board. But it looks to me like thats been there since its birth. So I'll keep tinkering until I get find something or until some Solid State wizard knows whats up.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Does that unit have pre-out/main-in jacks on the back?

Have you "worked" and or cleaned the tape monitor switch?

Can you figure out how to measure the balance pot? (Ohm setting).

I do fear you have a bad cap or transistor and don't have an o-scope.

Does that unit have pre-out/main-in jacks on the back?

Have you "worked" and or cleaned the tape monitor switch?

Can you figure out how to measure the balance pot? (Ohm setting).

I do fear you have a bad cap or transistor and don't have an o-scope.
The isnt a pre-out/main in jack.
I have worked the tape monitor switch, although I will go for another one later, my lady just bought a bunch of dope records. So repairs will have to wait a bit.
And I don't know how to measure the balance pot, but I'm sure I can figure it out.
And I fear the same thing. The connections all look solid to me, and pots are clean as a baby. So I may be outta luck. There is a guy here in anchorage i heard about today, they call him the genius, possibly he can take a look at it.
The input is appreciated and welcomed by all.

Hello, som years later! I got the same problem with my akai aa 1030, left chanel is very low and much distorsion. Did you fix yourse?

Back
Top Bottom