What's wrong with mp3 hoarding.

joebingo

I'm definitely part of the mp3 generation, if you look at my music collection I have a lot spanning various formats but the absolute vast majority is mp3/aac. I have quite a few CD's and my vinyl collection has been growing steadily over the last couple of years.

Anyway, recently the headphone jack on my phone broke and I started taking my ipod out with me again and I just couldn't be bothered. I ended up just listening to the same tired old stuff again and again and just felt overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on there. I was like that with my phone too, I could never decide what to put on there so I just kept on listening to the same albums or browsing spotify for ages and not finding something to listen to.

Now I had about 30 minidiscs which I could never bring myself to throw away, even though none of them had any music on them I would ever listen to now - your tastes change significantly between the ages of 12 and 25! (Even 12 and 15 to be fair). So I decided to pick up a minidisc walkman and start archiving my vinyl onto it and it's honestly been the best thing I've done in years, obviously I've spent a bit too much on extra media though :nono: .

I've listened to albums I've not listened to for ages, I've cleaned all of my records as I've gone along and now I've got a permanent stash of great albums in a nice sounding, extremely portable format that are easy to peruse and choose before going out. I'm not constantly worrying about battery life and most importantly I'm not utterly overwhelmed to the extent that I barely listen to any music.

I've even just bought a cd walkman with a toslink output so I can start backing up my CDs too (My last component cd player died and I didn't replace it as I just use the computer to listen to cd's now). I'm actually finding myself genuinely excited about listening to music again and I'm genuinely excited about all of these albums I've been neglecting for years.

Strange, but a really nice outcome :)

I love listening to vinyl. However, converting my vinyl to Hi Res audio files was the best move I ever made. Listening to the original vinyl is still the best "sonic" experience, but the hi res files really sound great, and the the convenience factor more than makes up for the difference.

Back
Top Bottom