Marantz 2265 needs TLC.

anderslober

Yikes...not again!
I have a 2265 unit here that needs TLC badly. It is a wonderful unit, but needs the usual service.
The main problem on this unit is the balance slider. Its broken and completely bypassed.
The slider is a 500K ohm , part number is RS05040050 , some donor units are 2252 and 2285.....this is going to be difficult to source. Are there any other options? Can a 250K ohm slider be used?
Check out the funky bypass wiring! I cant fathom WHY someone would do this to these nice unit.:-(

Attachments

• IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5189.jpg
    IMG_5189.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5191.jpg
    IMG_5191.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 52
Will a slider from a 2220B work? Same rating an'all........same size?
This slider install will be the first for me......how do you wire it up? LEFT channel upper part........RIGHT channel lower part........? and then each channel to VOL control.........?
A diagram or picture would be most helpful..............
I have the scat for the 2265......I just need to make sure I do it right.....so I don't mess up...!!;-)

Last edited:
I managed to find a new balance control. The shaft is slightly shorter, but it will work fine.
I assembled the unit again and proceeded to test it. All works fine.....EXCEPT the stereo light in FM mode. The light does work, as it comes on when I select AUX. MONO switch is clean and functioning normally.
What pot on the MPX board controls the stereo light? I am willing to tweak it a bit...
If the stereo decoder doesn't work anymore......I'll need a new one. UPC587C2 from NEC........are there subs to this decoder?
Any help would be awesome....thanks.

Catrafter.......there was a upc587c2 in the unit.....it looked original. Is the ha1156 a sub? I have noticed in the SM it says a HA1156. Maybe I should go with what the manual says......?
Thanks for the other great info.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find a datasheet on the upc587, it crosses to an NTE1226. The HA1156 crosses to an NTE801. The pinout diagrams for both NTE parts look similar, but who knows.
Both the Euro and US/CA schematics list the HA1156 as the stereo decoder.
What makes you think the decoder chip is bad? Does the unit decode FM stereo, but not light the lamp?
Voltages on the IC pins when tuned to a strong stereo station might reveal something.

Tom

The stereo light works for sure.......in FM mode, tuned to a strong station....the stereo light does not come on. I am changing the decoder back to a HA1156 as per SM. I was not able to find a good datasheet on the upc587c2.
I think the decoder may have been shorted or something, as there was a blob of brown gunk over and UNDER it! It was not glue........rather something like cake dough......moist. Working on that MPX board is pure hell......I had to unwrap 7-8 wires.....hopefully I will put it all back together correctly(I made a drawing)......otherwise I'll be back asking for help.

Wax...ok.....it is gone now. I got the stereo light working by tweaking the muting pots just a little bit. It tunes fine now and stereo light comes on with stereo sound to boot.
I also had an awful scratchy distortion on the left channel........pre-amp was the culprit. A ba312 needed to be changed. I changed both ba312's and all the 2sa721 / 2sc1327 tr's to new ksa992 / ksc1845.
Now it all sounds good.

This is the second unit within a short time where the ba312 has gone bad/noisy.....are the ba312's prone to failure?

Last edited:
Velum changed......all new lamps..........Sound test.....all good!:banana:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The unit works fine.
Just for future Marantz tuner tweaking........can you use the 'all-FM-terminals-shorted' trick for putting the tuning meter in the center at a white noise point on the dial? Which pot would have to manipulated to achieve this(on the 2265, or the other Marantz receivers that use the same board)?
I have done this trick on a few Pioneer's, including my sx1980, which worked like a charm.

The brown gunk is like a wax, no issue there, they all have it from the factory.
The temperature of the IC chips is reduced by 37.34–45.79% using Paraffin wax and enhances their performance by 2.33–4.63 times. This confirms the significance of Paraffin wax for the cooling of the IC chips and ultimately enhances the system performance and reliability. Marantz was onto something.

The stereo light works for sure.......in FM mode, tuned to a strong station....the stereo light does not come on. I am changing the decoder back to a HA1156 as per SM. I was not able to find a good datasheet on the upc587c2.
I think the decoder may have been shorted or something, as there was a blob of brown gunk over and UNDER it! It was not glue........rather something like cake dough......moist. Working on that MPX board is pure hell......I had to unwrap 7-8 wires.....hopefully I will put it all back together correctly(I made a drawing)......otherwise I'll be back asking for help.
My parts list also shows a HA1156.

Wax...ok.....it is gone now. I got the stereo light working by tweaking the muting pots just a little bit. It tunes fine now and stereo light comes on with stereo sound to boot.
I also had an awful scratchy distortion on the left channel........pre-amp was the culprit. A ba312 needed to be changed. I changed both ba312's and all the 2sa721 / 2sc1327 tr's to new ksa992 / ksc1845.
Now it all sounds good.

This is the second unit within a short time where the ba312 has gone bad/noisy.....are the ba312's prone to failure?
Yes the BA312s are not great I have been using a mini board with 4 resistors and 3 1845s to replace them.

Back
Top Bottom