Smart People Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok :scratch2:

I just can't help but think of the ignorance that thought this up as being relevant.

Earlier this morning their was a speaker on TV in South Korea that was discussing this subject. According to their studies, Mozart was king of the thinking class. He had a bunch of data from studies that were done in Korea to support that classical music listeners benefited increased memory and higher scores on test. I didn't catch all of it, just what my wife explained to me as I can't understand much Korean and they didn't have any subtitles. It was on KBS TV.

I recall similar findings from American research in the 80s (don't hold me to this timeframe).

Last edited:
So the author is claiming that people who listen to rap are smarter than people who listen to jazz? Now I know he's off his rocker. :D That gibberish is unintelligible.

Doesn't make much sense... Well Radiohead is my favourite band.. But then Jazz is all the way down at the bottom? Jazz is smart music.

Why is Jazz smart music? Why is Gospel dumb music?

Music appreciation is a form of intelligence that most of us, if interested in music, cultivate over time. From an early age I was exposed to a variety of cultures and their music. This experience influenced my taste in music as an adult. That's all it is, a preference. It doesn't make me smart, or imply that I'm smart. I would rather listen to music, (jazz, classical, heavy metal, gospel, bluegrass, blues, r&b, house, ska, mariachi, Balkan, you name it) than watch sports, play chess or do algebra.

As for the statement that "Jazz is smart music", in the 30's and 40's Jazz was pop music. Everybody listened to it. That's why it's hard to find Jazz records from that era that are in good shape, people bought them and listened to them. Used classical music records are almost always in mint shape because "smart" people would buy them and listen to them once and then put them on display like trophies.

C'mon guys lighten up. You jazz fans are butt hurt because this study seems to undermine the image of jazz fans as smart phlegmatic pipe-smoking guys with patches on their elbows. The race thing - sure I would have tried to remove some of the underlying demographic variables. However my school, which likes "Rascal Flatts" (not sure how I feel about that) was mostly white but you would hear a lot of Coolio and a lot of Travis Tritt. My job as cultural ambassador was to turn people on to Jean Leloup. :thmbsp:

Do not feed the obvious overgeneralized troll.

I apologize. I should be more sensitive to the rap lovers out there. On a less dissonant note, I do happen to like the classic jazz favs of the 50's, 60's. It's those on the fringe that give it it's unappealing reputation. Having said that, it's obvious the chart reflects a seriously limited age demographic which makes it completely useless except as a shit disturber which it very appropriately is being used as here. So calm down and throw on some LL Cool J.:music:

I think it's hilarious that anyone would get bent out of shape over the "data" presented in this "study".

So the author is claiming that people who listen to rap are smarter than people who listen to jazz? Now I know he's off his rocker. :D That gibberish is unintelligible.

Note that the author of the study states:

'Yes, I'm aware correlation ≠ causation. The results are hilarity incarnate regardless of causality. You can stop sending me email about this distinction. Thanks.'

Also, the data is 6 years old, so that explains the popularity of some of the bands.

See link http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/index.php

I think it is rather difficult to pigeon hole one's intelligence by their listening tastes.

The area of the country and population density [city vs. rural] are just a few factors that might influence the listening taste of someone.

What a person has been exposed to a very young age is also a factor.
My taste in music was greatly influenced by my older siblings.

The same could also be said of one's taste in food, art or the type of architecture they prefer in a home.

This is just sloppy data mining. There is not even correlation, let alone causation. Using mean SAT scores and relating them to the middle of the musical taste herd? That's just goofy. There are too many ways the data can be skewed. The SAT scores of individuals are in no way linked to their musical tastes in this "study." However, we do know that a bunch of students apparently like to post on Facebook about Jack Johnson and Coldplay.

In the site's defense, I don't think the info was meant to be taken seriously. It seems to simply be a data-play exercise. Certainly not worth working oneself into a lather over.

I don't believe there is any validity to the article. Nor do I believe IQ can be determined by the type of music a person listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom