Yamaha PC2002 Professional Power Amplifier questions

VintInfinity

Tactophonic
Does anyone have a service manual for this? Only found an Owner's Manuals while searching.

Update on page two, post #20

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this amp? The spec sheet says it is only rated for use at 8 ohm, but shows a graph with power output down to 2 ohm.

Is this amp capable of powering my current hungry Infinity Kappa 9 speakers?

Link to incredibly detailed manual: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/amp/PC2002E.pdf

I got this on a whim, because it was too cool to pass up... If this won't work, I have an Adcom GFA-555 on the way too... I have to choose one or the other.

Last edited:
I have used one at my school, and was VERY impressed! we use it in our mobile amp/source rack setup. It's got POWER! I think that we ran 4 EV's and 2 eighties JBL's to room-shaking power with that amp. in like a room larger than 200x200 feet.

I want one!

Nice:yes:, I am looking at a GFA-555 on CL locally, witch I know is a sweet sounding high current low impedence output beast, if I had to choose I'd keep that Yammie, it's just to cool!! And yes it should love your Infinity's these guy's like and sound much better loaded down/up!!, the dampning factor on that thing is SICK:thmbsp:,talk about grabing the bull by the horns. If you decide you don't want it( the Adcom has better WAF) PM me in the next couple of weeks, pretty please!
Peace Craig

Looks like the pro version of the M-2. I think you would be hard pressed to overload it driving the Kappa 9's, but I think it would be possible. I'm running Quantum 2's with an MX-10000.

That's good to hear... I just wish I had remembered these before I BIN'd the Adcom. I might have been able to get both pc2002s he had up for grabs... Somebody else got the other one for the same price I paid.

I will listen to both the 2002 and the 555 and post my impressions whenever they show up.

If I am going to biamp, which one would be better on the woofers?

Those Yamaha pro amps are killer! I had a P-2200 for a while, but didn't really need the 235 WPC it delivered (700 bridged?). Pretty sure that you don't have to worry about running your Infinities off it -- you could have run a bloody concert off mine. :thmbsp: Have fun -- the thing's a savage, and should sound great.

Four P2100s here, with over 20 years of use and still lovin' em. I don't go too low on the impedance load with these (that's what Crowns are for :yes:), but I've certainly run sustained shows with 4 ohms on them. Keep them ventilated, their heat sinks are on the sides (plus perf'd top & bottom) & they aren't always happy when surrounded by other gear inside a shelf unit or road case.

These are my preferred amps for theater PA, they practically disappear and give me super-clean headroom with almost no noise of their own, easier to deceive the audience and sound as if everything's just coming from stage. I like their clarity so much (and the Adcom's got great specs for damping) that I'd start out with Adcom on the woofs and Yamaha on the high end.

je

Thanks for the info Fred... Your description sounds encouraging.

So it looks like they should be ok with 4-6 ohm nominal and occasional dips down around 2 ohm.

I will try the Adcom on the woofers. Less wattage would probably be a good thing, the bass already gets really loud. Even though the neighbors are noisy, I try not to be overly loud.

I guess I will have to see how each sounds separately and bi-amped to decide what to keep.

The "M" version was made for studio setups, where the meter would be for monitoring therefor the M. And they are build like they look, tanks.

Also have Yamaha Pro amps, PC-2002 (no meters/260x2) and a PC-4002M (meters). The PC-4002M is rated at 420x2 and weighs in at 100 lbs. Mfg mid 1980s, excellent build quality/sound, not sure who copied who but the Accuphase pro amps look almost identical to the Yamahas. Smooth Yamaha sound, plenty of headroom and should last forever.

Isn't the PC2002 240wpc @ 8Ω? That's what the spec sheet says. Underrated?

Any idea what it can do lower than that? It looks like the graph shows 4Ω as ~500w, but about 300w at 4Ω vs the 240w they quote.

That PC4002 sounds nice... overkill for my needs though. Got any pics of it?

It sure looks like the M-2, identical heatsink configurations on the sides, etc. Much more detailed information in the performance graphs than they give on the M-2 Manual, the power-output into 2-ohms, etc as well as the damping factor up at 350, which I don’t recall ever seeing listed anywhere else before.

It sure looks like the M-2, identical heatsink configurations on the sides, etc. Much more detailed information in the performance graphs than they give on the M-2 Manual, the power-output into 2-ohms, etc as well as the damping factor up at 350, which I don’t recall ever seeing listed anywhere else before.

Chris, I know that you probably have made your AK account before what I am referencing, but have you Googled your AK name recently?

Chris, I know that you probably have made your AK account before what I am referencing, but have you Googled your AK name recently?

Yeah, it's always been a common name, in elementary school I had two other Chris Browns who also had the same middle name, talk about confusing! :scratch2: Anyway, back to Yamaha. :music:

Yeah, it's always been a common name, in elementary school I had two other Chris Browns who also had the same middle name, talk about confusing! :scratch2: Anyway, back to Yamaha. :music:

I mean the rapper that girls in my school swoon over......

Sorry to get off topic!

I never got a chance to really test out the PC2002M on the Kappas.

The foam on one of the right channel 12"s started falling off because the bass with the Adcom was so forceful. I was able to shut it down before enough foam had fallen off for anything to happen to the voice coil.

I am working on getting all the gunk off the cones and baskets and will order new foams when I can.

I can try putting the Adcom on the left channel low-pass and the Yamaha on the highs of both channels. I just got some rca to 1/4 adaptors, so I can hook it up. Maybe tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom