Enjoying me fixed R-900

Aspen

So my first post on AK. I must say this is an excellent forum!
My story on how I got here.
Three weeks ago I decided to get rid of my experiment with a cheap Pioneer AV receiver for my living room. Had it about 3 years but never really liked it as it was hollow and weak. So I decided to get an Yamaha RX-A730 which I really like.
While I was chatting with the salesman, I mentioned that I always liked Yamaha and still had my first receiver, an R-900 bought in 1982 when I was a 17 year-old working at McDs for $2.35/hour. The receiver had been everywhere with me from dorms to apartments and several different cities. Lately it was supplying garage tunes, but last year it died with no sound. I figured that was it, since it was 32 years old now. The salesman told me not to throw it out. but for me to bring it in for a look. So I did and we saw that a couple of resisters were cooked near the right STK 1070 amp. Ugh, those things are hard to find.
I started searching around and found this site and found that the R-900 has a fairly decent rep except for its reliability due to the those problematic amps. Meanwhile the salesman found a shop that had the part in stock. I brought it in and now I am listening to classic rock on FM just like in was 1982 all over again!:banana: The shop got it going, but the controls were pretty scratchy. So given my new knowledge gleaned from this great site I bought some Deoxit and Faderlube and then spent this evening cleaning 30 years of gunk out of it. Works perfectly! Thanks folks.
The only trouble is that I have found this site and now have the jones for a beautiful CR series receiver. I kind of was hoping that the R-900 was pooched for good so that I could justify a CR-1020 for sale locally. Oh well, now I think I will need to keep an eye out for a CR-2020.

I will keep lurking around some more, this place tweaks my OCD nature. It might get expensive.

uh oh...you're hooked
welcome to AK
These fine folks have helped me achieve my dream for a kick ass stereo
there's so much knowledge, and good will here, it's...well...it's just not normally seen in our world today

uh oh...you're hooked
welcome to AK
These fine folks have helped me achieve my dream for a kick ass stereo
there's so much knowledge, and good will here, it's...well...it's just not normally seen in our world today

Yep. Worst than ebola. Well, maybe not.Welcome to AK anyway..:music:

Back
Top Bottom