CR 820 receiver - best cash spent in a while

I have my dad's CR-800, which he received as a wedding gift in 1976. It was the stereo I grew up with, and then became mine about five years ago. It definitely needs all the electrolytic capacitors replaced - one on the phono board failed about ten years ago and took out a fusistor. I replaced it, and got phono back, but in the 90s this amplifier sounded spectacular, and now it sounds kind of OK. I have all the service info and will some day make a project of it but for now it sits in waiting. Love the Yamaha variable loudness control.

Have a few Yamaha receivers - a CR-220, RX-350, RX-530 and a R-1000. Not a dud among them, and everyone has enough oomph to power a pair of Advent 1s. Definitely like the Yamaha sound, although I would rank the 530 at a lower level than the others.

Being a Yamaha fan I worked my way through the CR-n20 series exchanging a Marantz for a CR-620 to the point where the Family Room has a CR-2020 driving Polk Monitor 7Bs

My workshop has a CR-800 driving Polk Monitor 10Bs, the bedroom a CR-2040 driving NS-670s and last a CR-3020 in the Playroom driving NS-690 Mk 1s.

Using a capacitor tester I found that more than often when I tested an electrolytic cap I had replaced they fell in the acceptable rang (Electros have a rather wide capacitance range even when new). They most certainly do have a good sound rather like a wire with gain.

BTW Alpine I would take the CD player off the top of the CR-820 they do like ventilation.

Hey merrylander, are you saying that Yamahas of that vintage typically have good caps and perform long after they shouldnt?

I ask because I have a CA-810 I bought from original owner, and it sounds tremendous, without the "flattopping" I hear with my Sony of that vintage at higher volumes. I still wanna get it recapped, simply for life expectancy. Thanks for any help, I know you're the Yamaha guru around these parts.

I snagged my CR820 for all of $50 + shipping on ebay just a couple months ago. I wasn't expecting much at that price but after a deoxit treatment she sings! Physically it is in great shape too, with just dings on the rear corners. Lamps are out, but looks like those are cheap.

Back
Top Bottom