KR 4600 and KR 6030

MusicOnly

I am starting a small collection of vintage receivers , 2 receivers on my list are the Kenwood KR 4600 and KR 6030 . I know the specs on these units but would love to hear from some owners , please share your thoughts on either of these beauty's .

The kr4600 is a excellent little receiver, nice sounding, good build quality, 2 phono inputs, and great tuner section. I just refurbished one about a yr ago for my neighbor and was impressed, good looks also.

The kr4600 is a excellent little receiver, nice sounding, good build quality, 2 phono inputs, and great tuner section. I just refurbished one about a yr ago for my neighbor and was impressed, good looks also.

I have a KR 4600 in my studio paired with ADS L570/2 and Advent Prodigy Towers. I switched it out with a Pioneer SX 636, a newer HK amp, a late 70s Sansui and a 80s Yamaha and the Kenwood was easily the best sounding. I love the blue/green lighting. I bought it of the Bay for around $80.00 with shipping 2 years ago. I think it's rated at 30 watts per channel, but it can crank it out with power to spare. I've had absolutely no problems at all with it.

I also have a 4600 and it is a fine receiver. Definitely one of the best looking vintage receivers you will find. Except for contact cleaner and lamps have not had to touch mine. Obviously the 6030 puts out more power but mine seems adequate for my vintage speakers. Right now my 4600 is hooked to a pair of Boston Acoustic A70's and drives them easily.

Kr-6030

Here is a photo of the very clean KR-6030 I picked up last month for $19.91. She's a beauty and I'm lovin' the 80 WPC through my Polks.

Attachments

• DSC04496_25.jpg
    DSC04496_25.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 51
Another KR6030 owner here. Like several other models of this vintage (not only Kenwood), the power switch is susceptible to arcing. The classic symptom is flickering lights when turned on. The switch is fairly easy to get to and there are repair procedures documented on the forum. I installed a relay on mine to take the load off of the switch which seems to be doing the trick.

P1020781.JPG P1030409.JPG P1020788.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom