Family Pic- SM-152's with their mysterious big brother

herbd2

Don't think I've ever seen a shot of these two together, so I thought I'd share a pic I took tonight. Those 255's demand respect...even if the little brother is always getting picked on. :yes:

Attachments

• DSCF0600.jpg
    DSCF0600.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 144
NAH - the worst speakers Infinity ever designed - They were the speaker that defined 'House' speaker and that is about it.

I think he means the 255's demand more respect. They are in a different class than the SM 1xx series. Heavier cabinets, cast frame drivers, etc. The spec sheet lists them as 91 pounds a piece.

http://911manuals.com/preview/Infinity/SM-255-S-EN1-906-INF.png

Maybe not as good as older Infinity's with ribbon tweeters or IMG cone woofers, but way better than any 1xx series.

A friend found a set of SM 1xx on a curb. He asked me about them before grabbing them. I told him to leave them there.

The SM 1xx get no respect. No respect at all.
------------------norespect.jpg

Well, I guess I'm not surprised. I did think that maybe posting in the actual infinity forum that it might take more than 2 or 3 posts before somebody starting $$issing on the SM-1XX series. I have listened to these both and they don't sound anything like each other. The 255's have better high end clarity, deeper-tighter bass and overall much more smooth sounding.

With some extra damping in the cabinets though, the 152's aren't as bad as you'all say they are. Opinions differ, old argument I won't go there. I've listened to them at mid/lower volume with a quality pre-tube amp combo and they sounded quite nice with their higher sensitivity. Bell chimes at moderate volume actually sound pretty nice on the polycell's, if you have good front end pieces feeding them.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the SM series. Two of my buddies bought pairs back in the mid to late 80's and they were great for high school guys back then.
I'd pick a pair up if I found them relatively cheap . They're better than CV and most other house speakers. IMHO

NAH - the worst speakers Infinity ever designed - They were the speaker that defined 'House' speaker and that is about it.

Afaik it was eponymously named POS series that was their "least' speaker series, rumour has it that the designation was deliberate when management ordered some POS speakers be produced as entry level offerings.
Too many predecessors got there first with "house" sound, like Klipsch.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some SMs actually sound pretty good, but I've never heard a Sansui speaker that didn't sound down right horrible.

There are supposed to be some nice sounding 2-way Sansui 'sleepers' lurking somewhere.

Afaik it was eponymously named POS series that was their "least' speaker series, rumour has it that the designation was deliberate when management ordered some POS speakers be produced as entry level offerings.
Too many predecessors got there first with "house" sound, like Klipsch.

The POS Series predated the SM stuff.

There were a few SM series models built in Europe that were quite nice sounding, well engineered with cast alloy Audax drivers.

Last edited:
Those SM "2xx" (the black ones) are fine speakers, I think they have Peerless or Philips tweeters (or Audax, as stated) ( I can't remember now) but they are definitely in another league than the light-weight SM "1xx"

Back
Top Bottom