NS1000M Cabinet Finish

miklemke

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I would like to refinish the cabinets on my NS1000M's.

What was the original black finish? Laquer? Paint? Stain?

Thanks.

Here's the label that Yamaha attached to them. :thmbsp:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Oh yes... As well as fill in dents, scratches and repair rounded damaged corners.

Attachments

• #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 135
Oh yes... As well as fill in dents, scratches and repair rounded damaged corners.

hello new member here...I just aquired a pair of ns1000m's ...sonically they are perfect...cabinets are kinda rough..mostly scratches and paint removal..a few spots where veneer has broken off...question is what did you use to fill in those spots and how did you repair the edges...i would really like to redo the cabs as you have..they look great

There is virtually zero chance that industrially manufactured speakers used any sort of waterborne finish in the seventies or eighties or even nineties. The finish was almost certainly pigmented nitrocellulose lacquer. It dries faster, doesn't raise grain, and works better than the waterborne finishes available in that period.

Latex paint is a poor choice for refinishing. Latex paint has a disqualifying property of "blocking" which means that even after the finish has cured, objects placed on it could stick to the surface. Now, there are waterborne finishes that would work but they should be labeled as 100% acrylic. These would be top of the line trim paints, though if you have spray capabilities, there are superior waterborne finishes that out give a more professional look. Latex wall paint should never be used for furniture or speaker enclosures.

hello new member here...I just aquired a pair of ns1000m's ...sonically they are perfect...cabinets are kinda rough..mostly scratches and paint removal..a few spots where veneer has broken off...question is what did you use to fill in those spots and how did you repair the edges...i would really like to redo the cabs as you have..they look great

AsK Mr Steve . Obviously, I don't know shit about paint. Even though I incorrectly painted them 5-6 years ago. They still look great.

Last edited:
one of my pair of NS690III's have beat to shit cabs.....might break them down, sand, strip and fill, then go with the ebony look.

Cause it's HAAAWWT!!!

That Lowe's black is great paint. I painted eight oak chairs for my wife beacuse they were green. It dries hard as a rock, the color is perfect and it did not hide the grain. It is really good paint and you will not have any problems with it on your speakers. Coincidentally I was going to suggest the same thing, but avionic beat me to it. You can set stuff on it too. It won't hurt it. I never set anything on my speakers anyway, so its not even a factor. By the way, that is a very nice collection of NS for sure. West system makes filler products that are easy fairing. You don't want to use a hard sanding filler. Use a bock sander to keep it flat. 220 grit paper won,t leave scratches. Good Luck!

41eaS3x9M6L._SX395_.jpg

I "restored" the finish to my NS-1000Ms (faded and scratched, but no missing veneer) with high-quality black shoe cream (I used Meltonian). Worked great.

NS1000 re-finish

what are your opinions on refinishing w/ a glossy (piano black ) finish?
I was thinking of spraying automotive grade catalyzed enamel/ or polyurethane.

It would most likely hide the grain - ( depending on the coats ),
but give it a totally different look.

Opinions anyone..???

I am sure it would be gorgeous, but that satin is very forgiving and you don't have to beat yourself up on it. It covers great and hides any imperfection well. It depends on how much work you want to put into them. I still like the satin look and the grain beneath. It's very close to original.

That's why I asked, I like to keep original for the value(?), but when I look at the Kendrick finishes on the NS 1000's-I start to drool!

Back
Top Bottom