TubeDAC-11 Tube Rolling

Hello everyone, I have a TD-11 and power cable on the way, or at least "in process" (Audio for Less was a little vague about shipping details). In any case, I've read through this thread and not seen many tube evaluations from those using the TD-11 to drive speakers, vs. headphones, let alone directly without a separate amp or receiver in the line. I'm planning to use the dac as part of a 2.0 cable TV system that includes a Patriot Box Office (USB). The run is Toslink from TV to dac and then via RCA ICs to Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. While I'm planning to burnin the GF and see how it goes, I would be interested in the tube rolling experiences of anyone who has used the TD-11 with speakers (I'm not a headphone person).

Another question. Among the PQ designated tubes, I haven't seen any mentions of one from Great Britain, but came across a 6DJ8/ECC88, allegedly a Mullard (I can't see any markings that way), that also has a 'PQ' on it. See the screenshots. Two things caught my attention: the letters at the bottom say "Great Britain," but were stencilled differently than the others, and the tube is being sold out of China, which raises more the possibility of fakes. Anyone recognize it?

Attachments

• Tube.JPG
    Tube.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Tube 2.JPG
    Tube 2.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
As noted in the Sennheiser HD800 thread here I trashed my HD540s, tried to replace them but not much luck (been telling too many how great they are), put 50 hours on the HD800s, they sound great but still miss my HD540s, started burning in the new HD700, right away this is what I'm more used to and with only a few hours on them started rolling some tubes quickly and just went from a quite expensive Siemens CCa (which was better than the Seimens PCC88/7DJ8 and Mullard Pinched Waste E88CC prior) to quite inexpensive Zaerix ECC88/6DJ8, says it's from London England, this didn't miss a beat for what I was focusing on while listening (Tubular Bells). Could be a solid contender for sleeper tube in the TubeDAC-11. If this tube becomes a hit like the red 5 star GE for the 09, I'd grab one or two quick before the price goes up and they become scarce :) I haven't yet compared it to the stock tube (Enjoying TAAB- Jethro Tull), but will tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ian
Ian, are you driving the HD700 direct from tube out on the TD-11? What's the difference between the HD800 vs HD700 via tube out? I'm surprised since the 700's aren't 300 ohm cans I thought tube out was 300ohm and up?

After test line out into my active monitors for the first time I like what I'm hearing. I may have to rethink my headphone setup because I didn't like having to change RCA connections. If line out continues to impress me on the speaker side then tube out can be headphone use only. It would save me some bucks because I was considering moving to a diff dac soon or getting a tube headphone amp.

Hello everyone, I have a TD-11 and power cable on the way, or at least "in process" (Audio for Less was a little vague about shipping details). In any case, I've read through this thread and not seen many tube evaluations from those using the TD-11 to drive speakers, vs. headphones, let alone directly without a separate amp or receiver in the line. I'm planning to use the dac as part of a 2.0 cable TV system that includes a Patriot Box Office (USB). The run is Toslink from TV to dac and then via RCA ICs to Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. While I'm planning to burnin the GF and see how it goes, I would be interested in the tube rolling experiences of anyone who has used the TD-11 with speakers (I'm not a headphone person).

Another question. Among the PQ designated tubes, I haven't seen any mentions of one from Great Britain, but came across a 6DJ8/ECC88, allegedly a Mullard (I can't see any markings that way), that also has a 'PQ' on it. See the screenshots. Two things caught my attention: the letters at the bottom say "Great Britain," but were stencilled differently than the others, and the tube is being sold out of China, which raises more the possibility of fakes. Anyone recognize it?
I'm using the TD -11 as a preamp into my Adam monitors with great success. My tube of choice is the Russian rocket eventhough I have tried the PQ o getter. I find the rocket to be better balanced for my monitors maybe due to the amp cables I use are known to be bass heavy. I have recently tested the line out instead of tube out and I like what I'm hearing. I'll wait until I get my USB converter I recently ordered before doing critical listening.

Thanks. I just got a pair of rockets, but haven't had a chance to install them. I've also been trying the line out and it seems to have a bit more staging and depth, but maybe is a little harder. This is a TV set up with Audioengine 5+ speakers, so it's not as easy to tell as with, for example, my desktop audio set up.

I just bought a NOS made in Holland RCA 6922/ECC88 from eBay. It seems to outdo the Voskhod rocket 6N23P I picked up shortly after getting the TD-11. It seems to have a little deeper bass. Very pleased with it so far. Not bad for the $19 I paid for it. I believe it was made by Amperex, but not entirely sure.

I just bought a NOS made in Holland RCA 6922/ECC88 from eBay. It seems to outdo the Voskhod rocket 6N23P I picked up shortly after getting the TD-11. It seems to have a little deeper bass. Very pleased with it so far. Not bad for the $19 I paid for it. I believe it was made by Amperex, but not entirely sure.
Mind posting a photo and/or a link to the eBay auction? Thanks,

Thanks. Ian's tube spreadsheet lists some Amperex Holland versions but doesn't mention RCA. Is that why you guess Amperex? All the Holland versions are reported as sounding good.

Thanks. Ian's tube spreadsheet lists some Amperex Holland versions but doesn't mention RCA. Is that why you guess Amperex? All the Holland versions are reported as sounding good.

The spreadsheet shows an Amperex/RCA Bugle Boy as #8. I just put a Holland Amperex orange globe in mine and think it sounds very, very good! This is the only tube I've tried other than the stock one but the difference is very apparent and very much preferred.

Hi everyone, new tube dac-11 owner here. I am looking for a tube that will cut a little more harshness than the stock tube does. My rig is a NAD-516BEE cd player running SPDIF to the dac and an apple TV running optical to it. It is fed tube out to a HK 3490 used as a pre and then to a crown xls 2500 to a pair of magnepan 1.6. Anyone know of good tubes to try with a very powerful amp and magnepans? It looks like most of you use heaphones which i am not sure would apply similarly to my setup. The stock tube i think cut some of the harshness but i still do get some listening fatiguea and would love to get the lush tube sound!:music: Any advice is appreciated!

While waiting for my Tube DAC 11 to arrive I'm wondering how I will like one of these in it.

NOS Mullard ECC88

Labeled and boxed as Philips. Blackburn "B" production codes.

Attachments

• Mullard ECC88.jpg
    Mullard ECC88.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 29
While waiting for my Tube DAC 11 to arrive I'm wondering how I will like one of these in it.

NOS Mullard ECC88

Labeled and boxed as Philips. Blackburn "B" production codes.

It will sound great from the 'tube out' RCA connections. Mullard tubes in my DAC-11 sound a little warmer and darker than late 1950's Amperex ECC88's but certainly this tube will sound different than the stock tube.

You may want to put a hundred or so hours on the stock tube than compare.

Wb

Wolfbane. I see you rolled in a tung sol tube, but no comments on it. I just picked one of those up. Can you or anyone recal how the tube fares?

Wolfbane. I see you rolled in a tung sol tube, but no comments on it. I just picked one of those up. Can you or anyone recal how the tube fares?

I really liked the NOS Tungsol tubes in my DAC-09 which uses the 396 series tubes. Certainly in the top 4 or so of about a dozen various NOS tubes in that family. Tungsol's 6922/6DJ8 tubes in the DAC-11 I have to find again to compare with the Amperex family tubes I've settled on. My tubes for the DAC-11 are in stored away in a box and I'm packing for a flight I'm on today.

I'll look when I return home.

Wb

I really liked the NOS Tungsol tubes in my DAC-09 which uses the 396 series tubes. Certainly in the top 4 or so of about a dozen various NOS tubes in that family. Tungsol's 6922/6DJ8 tubes in the DAC-11 I have to find again to compare with the Amperex family tubes I've settled on. My tubes for the DAC-11 are in stored away in a box and I'm packing for a flight I'm on today.

I'll look when I return home.

Wb

Thank you. Look forward to your input. Anyone else out there??

Hey Wolfbane,

Not sure if your home or not, any further input on that tungsol 6dj8? Hope I'm not nagging. lol

I just rolled in a Amperex Holland ecc88 pinched waist - OMG - it bettered the amprerex 6922 gold pin PG orange O getter - I thought I had to set another table setting for Billy Holiday

Back
Top Bottom