List Of Tuners That Can Properly Filter HD Radio Self Noise?

Based on Mr. Beezley's articles, the problem components of the HD signal are more than 100 KHZ off the base frequency so the filter design of your Scott is probably doing the job here. See http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/iboccer.htm

I recently picked up a Scott 312-C and it sounds quiet on my IBOC problem station. Everything I read suggests that the LT-112B is very similar; please email me if you want more details. Also quiet on KBAQ is a Sherwood S3000-V -- ironic as both tuners were designed long before HD radio was conceived. Scott tuners in general from the 1960s seem to handle IBOC well based on owner comments; my 370B tube unit is very quiet.

My Scott LT-112B has no HD issues.

The Marantz ST-6000 is noisy on KBAQ in wide IF mode but quiet in narrow. I had also tried narrow bandwidth on a Harman-Kardon TU 920 and Sony ST-S550ES without success.

Rotel's RHT-10 is very quiet, as is the Day-Sequerra M4 in analog mode. The Harman/Kardon Citation 23 is pretty good in the "high-Q" or super-narrow mode but not in the standard mode.

Last edited:
Marantz 150 IBOC noise performance?

Marantz 10B, 20, and 20B and Model 18 and 19 receivers fail the HD sideband hash test. They are noise city. Old Sherwoods are quiet.

Thanks for sharing this. How about the 150? It is three generations after the 20B. Brian Beezley's web site

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/hdrsn.htm

indicates that the 2130 which followed it has a post-detection filter, which should help with HD noise.

Thank you!

Marantz 150 IBOC noise performance

An authoritative source told me:

"No post detection filter on the 150, very nice sounding tuner, but if you have a station with bad IBOC, it's probably not the best choice. No narrow IF either. It is a great sounding tuner on good broadcasts though."

Update from Day-Sequerra: http://daysequerra.com/ViewProduct.aspx?CurPage=FM Reference

Stop. Here’s a message from our Legal Department.

1]. The term “HD” in HD Radio does not stand for “high definition” rather it relates to “hybrid digital” technology used in HD Radio.

2]. DaySequerra is the leading provider of modulation monitors and confidence monitors to AM and FM HD Radio broadcasters in the U.S.

3]. DaySequerra’s founder, David Day, speaking most recently at the National Association of Broadcasters Show in April 2013 said “Taken as a whole, HD Radio delivers incredible dynamic range with a vanishingly-low noise floor. The HD Radio lossy-codec is quite good; and while not as transparent as the best closed-circuit analog FM broadcasts, its real-world performance and feature-rich user experience outweighs its shortcomings, and moves broadcast radio into the internet age.”

HD Radio… continued. HD Radio IBOC “hybrid digital” technology used today provides the analog FM stream on the same center frequency as before but with IBOC OFDM digital sidebands on either side of the analog broadcast.

Update from me: Sherwood 2400 and 3300 tuners do not filter HD noise well :-(.

The Hitachi FT-007 is very quiet on my HD problem station and has an excellent digital signal-strength meter. Every tuner should have that feature!

I got to do some A/B testing between the Hitachi FT-007 and Hitachi FT-5500 (revision I, not II). The HD noise resistance of the FT-007 is much better than the FT-5500. I'm in a very strong signal area; I was able to improve the signal-to-noise output performance by attenuating the input to the tuners from the antenna. The difference was more pronounced on the FT-5500 but still just audible on the FT-007.

I have a Pioneer SX-1000 TD and I've not had too many issues with the HD Hiss on it (the local NPR Station is using a Digital and Analog signal) and when I've listened to it on there its not very noisy its actually quite silent (except for the sound of the people talking).

Here are a few...

Denon TU-800
Onkyo T-9090

Never heard noise on these.

My TU-717 is very quiet as well. I think the stations in my area have cleaned up a bit this fall as the noise I used to hear is all but gone.

Ron

Thanks for sharing this. How about the 150? It is three generations after the 20B. Brian Beezley's web site

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/hdrsn.htm

indicates that the 2130 which followed it has a post-detection filter, which should help with HD noise.

Thank you!

The Marantz 2130 rejection specifications are all 120dB. Very noise free tuner. Next time I have my 2130 on the bench, I plan to check the SCA performance.

I need to look further, but are the Dual Saw filters in the 2130 responsible for these specs?

I have a Kenwood KT-8007 and picks up almost every station. No noise, or issues with stations in HD. I'm in the Jersey area for those who want to know.

My inexpensive Harmon Kardon receiver I am listening to right now has no HD noise issues. For such a low price receiver the tuner is fantastic. It was the first thing I noticed about it, when it came out of the box two years ago..

Maybe just lucky but so far no problems with:

Sherwood S3300, either the FET or FET/Microcircuit verssions
Sony ST-5055
McINtosh MR77
Philips 6731

Not quite totally immune but acceptable:
Yamaha CT610II

Receivers:
KLH 27
Philips 785, 796,797
Sony STR6045
H-K 630
Sony STR6120

I have not gone through my entire stockpile but these tend to geet cycles in the most, or did, and issue looked at.

Eico Classic 2200 noisy, McIntosh MR 71 quiet on KBAQ Phoenix. The Eico is much quieter on KJZZ than on KBAQ, like many tuners. I think there's still some SCA noise on the Eico on KJZZ but it's quite listenable.

Last edited:
NAD 1600 tuner preamp is fine
Carver MXR130 is fine
Yamaha RX something or other AV receiver is fine.

My Hitachi SR 804 has issues with the only two radio stations I listen to:WAMU and WETA, in Washington, DC. I get no noise from it on other stations.

Back
Top Bottom