Psvanne TS-66

madmike46

Hello everyone, I purchased a Psvanne TS-66 amp a couple of weeks ago, great sounding little amp and the more I play it the better it is starting to sound. Bass is starting to come around, I only have about 45 hours on it so far. The last couple of days it has started to develope a problem with the right channel. Sometimes after about 45 minutes the right channel cuts out. I can get the right channel to come back by turning the balance control on my pre-amp to the right, turn pre-amp volume to 0, then I turn the volume on the amp to full volume and then slowly increase the volume on my pre-amp and then the right channel will come back. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Have you an extra set of tubes to try out ? Also check if there any oxidation on your cables.

No on the tubes, but have swapped them from left to right, one pair at a time and the right channel always quits so that pretty much rules out the tubes. I have tried a couple of IC's which have been cleaned, even swapped left to right channel with still the same out come (right channel dies) hope this helps.

Mike

Normaly a bad tube will not run badly after 45mins. I guess the best you can do is to call GF and Rachel will assist you.

GL and keep us posted.

While I was modifying my I-25 (basically the same amp) I noticed that several solder joints were completely inadequate, particularly on the power tube socket pins. In fact, one of the wires was literally just resting on the pin. Only the tension in the wire was holding it there. The effect of this, in my case, was very infrequent "crackles" that were very disturbing. Ever since I checked and corrected all the suspicious solder joints, the issue has not returned.

I have heard that multiple people are having issues with the right channel on the TS66. I suspect that the issue is the same in all of them, and that it is down to an inadequate solder joint. Based on my experience, I would look at the power tube socket solder joints first.

While I was modifying my I-25 (basically the same amp) I noticed that several solder joints were completely inadequate, particularly on the power tube socket pins. In fact, one of the wires was literally just resting on the pin. Only the tension in the wire was holding it there. The effect of this, in my case, was very infrequent "crackles" that were very disturbing. Ever since I checked and corrected all the suspicious solder joints, the issue has not returned.

I have heard that multiple people are having issues with the right channel on the TS66. I suspect that the issue is the same in all of them, and that it is down to an inadequate solder joint. Based on my experience, I would look at the power tube socket solder joints first.

Thanks for the reply, I will check that out today. I ran the amp yesterday for 3 hours, it quit on me twice in the first 45 minutes then it worked great for the next 2-1/4 hours. I will check again for cold solder joints.

Sorry to hear about these issues. Mine came today and I have been listening to it less than an hour. Using an imac as a source through a 1/8 to RCA patch cord in my office. A set of Klipsch synergy B3 bookshelf speakers on each side of the monitor screen and I'm in business. As of this time it is way too early to comment on sound quality and specifics. It does sound as good as the Marantz 2238 it replaced. Will comment further after a fair burn in period and some speaker auditions.

I can say it was well boxed and arrived safely. Like many folks report doing, I left the top guard off for the cool tube glow look and love it so far. At the close out prices these were going for and the good reviews I couldn't pass it up. I had originally gone to the site to order another 283 tube processor for the office system like the one in my main, but jumped on this deal.

Last edited:
I have found that C7 and C8 caps were dented also if I lightly tapped on C7 the right channel dropped out immediately. Not a big deal I will replace all caps with better quality caps. So far I have about 50 hours and I am really happy with the sound quality so far. I can actually listen to my older CD's, I was finding that they were too harsh, but not any more.

Interesting update, Mike.

What caps you planning on using?

I've ordered some Russian POI (5 weeks ago) but got tired of waiting for them and just ordered some Sprague Orange Drop 716P 600v. It'll be very interesting to compare them.

Interesting update, Mike.

What caps you planning on using?

I've ordered some Russian POI (5 weeks ago) but got tired of waiting for them and just ordered some Sprague Orange Drop 716P 600v. It'll be very interesting to compare them.

I have ordered the solens .22 and .47 uf listed here

https://solen.ca/pub/index.php?cata...x.php?catalog=3&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&s1=2&s2=3

I also raised my main transformer hoping that there might be more room for air to circulate. I also now have room under the transformer to install a small muffin fan for ever more cooling. My main transformer runs close to 170 F after 4-5 hours. Here is a picture of the raised transformer.

IMG_0956_zpscdb32734.jpg

Last edited:
I have ordered the solens .22 and .47 uf listed here

https://solen.ca/pub/index.php?cata...x.php?catalog=3&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&s1=2&s2=3

I also raised my main transformer hoping that there might be more room for air to circulate. I also now have room under the transformer to install a small muffin fan for ever more cooling. My main transformer runs close to 170 F after 4-5 hours. Here is a picture of the raised transformer.

IMG_0956_zpscdb32734.jpg

Interesting. When I stop working seven days a week, I will post my mods.

Well I thought I had my amp fixed, but it is still cutting out on the right channel. When it cuts out I check all the voltages with the left channel and all voltages are the same going into the OPT's, but right channel has no out put to the speaker terminals. Could it be a bad OPT? Thanks for any and all help.

Mike

Well I thought I had my amp fixed, but it is still cutting out on the right channel. When it cuts out I check all the voltages with the left channel and all voltages are the same going into the OPT's, but right channel has no out put to the speaker terminals. Could it be a bad OPT? Thanks for any and all help.

Mike

With the amplifier off, use an ohm meter and check speaker output terminals from ground to 4 ohm & then ground to 8 ohm. Should measure about an ohm or less. No measurement means an open secondary winding.

Interesting idea lifting the transformer for flow. I might do that as well. For some reason I can't see your photo(s)...

I received my Sprague 716P Orange Drops today and installed them. Wow they are huge!

Instant performance increase. Subtle but important. The whole system seems to be based on a more solid foundation now and somehow the dynamic range seems wider and taller. Every instrument has its place, and any feeling of crowdedness is gone.

The stock caps had quite the variation in capacitance when tested.

The Spragues were all within .003 uF.

Attachments

• IMG-20130311-00085.jpg
    IMG-20130311-00085.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 25
With the amplifier off, use an ohm meter and check speaker output terminals from ground to 4 ohm & then ground to 8 ohm. Should measure about an ohm or less. No measurement means an open secondary winding.

If the scondary winding was open I should never get sound out of the right channel, is that correct?

A question for sony6060:

What is the function of the .47uF "Spirit" caps? Are they in the signal path, and if so would I be correct in assuming there should be audible gains if they were upgraded?

Back
Top Bottom