Sony SS-U307's..

dP86

..Hello! I am a new member; Excited to be a part of this community! I recently picked up a pair of Sony SS-U307's (200W each) for $15 (probably all they are worth) at a local garage sale..I have searched online for information/specs and throughout the forum; with no luck..I am wondering if any one knows Any thing about these?

Thank you!

dP86. First let me welcome you to AK. You will find a wealth of info on just about anything audio. There are alot of giving people here willing to help. That's the good news.

Now for the bad news. Most likely, those speakers came with a cheap cabinet filled with cheap components. An all-in-one kind of thing. Not the kind of quality like buying seperates.

But here we don't laugh (well, sometimes :D) at members. We try to educate them to make better choices. The only way to learn is to ask questions. We all started out like you, and we all made mistakes.

Now back to your purchase. The biggest question is, how do they sound to you? You, and you alone are the only person that can answer this. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. Everyone here will have a different opinion, but at the end of the day, we all agree to disagree. If you like the way they sound, great. If you don't, you now have a set of speakers to experiment on, and we will help. That's what this hobby is all about.

Again, welcome.

I also own these speakers and was looking for tips

I bought these speakers as a part of the stereo system when I was in my teens (in my 40's now). I still own them and used them for years. Over the last decade I started replacing my stereo parts. I changed out the receiver to a Sony STR-DE895 because it was getting a poor speaker connection and I wanted to be able to add home theater Bose system. I also replaced the CD player to a new Sony CDP-CE575 5 disc cd changer. Sadly my financial situation changed and I never got the Bose system. So my music listening has been on hold.

Fast forward to today. My current set up has problems. Yes these SS-U307 are not top of the line, but I own them and wondering if there is a way to fix/upgrade them.

These speakers work great with my old turntable (phono) since I'm listening to more vinyl these days, this is great. These speakers however do not play well with the new receiver and CD changer. I'm thinking they push more power than these old speakers can handle. Bear with me, I do not fully understand amps and power needed for speakers vs receiver capabilities.

So here's what I want to know:

1. Can I upgrade the speakers for a reasonable price so they can still be used?
2. Are there replacement parts - either original speaker replacement or adding new speakers to this box?
3. Can this be done on the cheep? Less than buying a new set of speakers?
4. I recently purchased a Bose SoundTouch. Is there any way to tie these speakers into this system?

I currently have hundreds of CDs loaded on a Mac computer in iTunes to play on the SoundTouch. I'd also like to play Spotify on and these CDs through a descent home system in multiple rooms and in stereo. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just joined Audio Karma so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom