Build Quality of Yamaha's A-S700 Intagrated Ampfilier?

bergun

Thinking of going with Yamaha's A-S700 Integrated Amplifier for my 2 channel audio system. With that said, I know its not built as solid as the A-S1000 and A-S2000, but it doesn't cost as much either, but at $800, I'm hoping for something built with quality and some care.

I know that the "Butterfly" knobs are plastic, verse the alloy version used on higher end amplifiers, but something that I'm hoping to replace at an extra cost. As for the volume and input selector knobs, I'm sure they're plastic as well, but I'm hoping that they to can be replaced with alloy versions, like the ones used on the A-S1000 and A-S2000. BTW, does anybody knows if the speaker selector knob plastic or alloy on the A-S1000 and A-S2000? I'm about 100% sure that they are plastic on the A-S700.

Am I missing anything else in the cosmetic department?? I'm "hoping" to get at least 10 to 15 years or more out of this amplifier... I have Yamaha gear from the mid/late 80s and they are still functioning, so I SHOULD be OK.

...I've purchased the CD-C600 and to be honest, the build quality seems OK, but still not great or even good... I know its an entry level unit, but I expected more from Yamaha. I've also purchased the RX-A3030 and the "fit and finish" is very good.

As for the sound quality, I've heard nothing but good things about the A-S700 and it seems to be targeted to the mid-fi market and guys like me. I will be using the CD-S700 CD player, T-S500 AM/FM tuner and a Denon DP-300F turntable in this set-up.

The reason why I'm NOT going with the A-S1000 or the A-S2000 is that I will be hooking up a dbx range expander and an older Yamaha equalizer to this amp since I tend to listen my vinyl LP collection more and more these days.

Thanks.

To be honest,spending that amount of money on such a new medicore lightweight amp (10KG-that's no doubt made in China) I personally wouldn't bother,especially considering you could pick up something like a used Sansui AU-919.. Also,in the link below it doesn't receive a good review.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=TD67HNFsvSqaZM&tbnid=wYGzIy_LH11DNM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whathifi.com%2FReview%2FYamaha-A-S700%2F&ei=Dtq3U76_BMTo7Aa8t4Ao&bvm=bv.70138588,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNFqSW1A7ZUkgaGBEW-emoh6r5rGIA&ust=1404644058677250

You'll be fine with the a-s700. I have a a-s500 and it is built well. Yes it has the plastic knobs but it's the sound that counts. I also have vintage Yamaha equipment and the a-s500 sounds great in comparison. Enjoy:thmbsp:

...I'm kind of moving away from retro audio gear since "I'm" have more and more issues with most of my classic pieces. The latest being my MX-1000 and CX-1000, which just quit working last month and they're on hold for repairs until I make my next move back to Washington State.

My beloved RX1100 and R9 receivers are in need of serving as well... With that said, all my Yamaha gear are at least 25-30 years old and that is why I.m sticking with Yamaha since they make GREAT products that last and last.

These days, "I" just want to listen to music without issues, so that is why I'm looking at the A-S700 as being the new center piece in a dedicated 2-channel set-up. With my MX-1000 and CX1000 being down for the count, its time to go modern for the convenience. I do have the RX-S3030 A/V receiver, but I want to keep my home theater and 2-channel audio systems separate.

I've contacted Yamaha USA about replacing the "butterfly" knobs, which are not cheap, but to me, very necessary with the alloy versions.

With that said, I wouldn't call myself a high-end audiophile... Just an average "Joe" who likes to hear good music played on a good system. As for being made in China... What isn't anymore? As long as they are built to Yamaha corporate specs, under Yamaha supervision and Q&A assurance, I'm good with it.

I love the sound of Yamaha gear, but also love the aesthetic of vintage; not just Yamaha but others as well. However, the "natural sound" Yamaha produces from any era sounds very consistent to my ears; although the new a-s500 has a more pronounced mid-range in my opinion.
But I agree with your point; having something new and under warranty provides some peace of mind. I currently have a ca-800 out being re-furbed right now. Having the 500 allows me to have a consistent set up while the vintage is under repair.:D

I also like having remote control volume!!!!!

Last edited:
On the AS 2000 the tone control knobs are also plastic. The input selector and volume knob are metal, I'm not really sure about the speaker selector. Feels like metal.

Back
Top Bottom