Yammaha rx-v2095 or marantz sr5600?

gentlejax

I have a mint 99 model yammaha 2095. Spotted local a marantz sr5500 & sr5600 pair on Craig's. Will sell both for $150

Would this be downgrade? Never had marantz. I know the 5500/5600 is lower in lineup than the 2095 but they are 5yrs newer.

Got itch again

Yammaha was 2x cost when new than marantz

I think I would keep looking for something newer, preferably with a good room correction system (Audyssey, Yamaha YPAO, Pioneer MCCAC), HDMI, and preamp outs. Having said that, if you could get one of the Marantz for <$100, you could do worse. I don't know why you would need both?

On the other hand I would keep the Yamaha and use it as a power amp for the front 2 channels. It's a quality item, one of the last made in Japan AV receivers.

It's hard to beat the amplification the yamaha has, I really feel that was one of the last really good yamaha's made having owned a 2095 and 2092 myself. The newer units from yamaha and others seem a bit lighter and sound lighter too. IMO

The SR-19 Marantz I use is in a different category being one of the flagship models.. It really doesn't sound any better than my 2095 did on the same speakers. The best yamaha IMO is from the early 90's called a dsp-a1000. I still cannot get that 'sound' back with any other receiver or separates system.

Ok I've decided to pass on the marantz pair. Was going to sell one keep the other but I feel the yammaha I have is more comparable to a 8500 or 8600

But I am looking at a ex-v 2500 locL

The SR-19 Marantz I use is in a different category being one of the flagship models.. It really doesn't sound any better than my 2095 did on the same speakers. The best yamaha IMO is from the early 90's called a dsp-a1000. I still cannot get that 'sound' back with any other receiver or separates system.

I went looking for one of these after you said that and I won one on ebay.

Going to keep my 2095 also....Im kind of excited to get this a1000 now...

As long as we are not talking about setting up a modern HT system, the Yamaha RX-V1 may have been one of their finest sounding receivers or HT amps. I certainly find it ranks above the DSP-A1000/2070. That being said, I think my SR-18 may have sounded even better. Warmer anyway if not more accurate. But given the SR-14/18/19 have a very well documented tendency to blow up and your average V1 will just need the pre/main relays in the RCA jacks cleaned I think the V1 is the safer way to go!

Back
Top Bottom