AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

Hi RayW, is your center channel simply a 3rd Indignia, or did you tweak anything? As far as doing a TMM 2-way or 2.5-way, I can crunch the numbers, but my ears are pretty bad (too many years with headphones, bartending in live clubs & installing sound systems in discos). I agree with you...a pair of 2.5-ways would be awesome! I'm not a big fan of subs, so something that can give some warmth to a medium to large room with minimal $ would be welcome!

And another pair from Australia! They do sound impressive! Even my wife enjoyed listening Pink Floyd's Sorrow! :)

Thanks everyone for the great project!

Attachments

• Speakers.jpg
    Speakers.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 214
It's a completely different, but closely related, creature. It uses the 5 1/4" sibling of the woofer and the ND28F tweeter. The writeup is here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3032181&highlight=center#post3032181

Outstanding! Post #2 edited with new serial numbers.
I just ran across your center channel...I'm reading the whole thread and I'm about on page 80. I'm pretty rusty on all of this but it's coming back to me! This would make a perfect project to ease back into it, or to get newbies started on their way to becoming audioholics!

This would also make a good intro into the design process if someone with spare time <cough> would do it!

I've really been enjoying this entire thread!

If it weren't for this thread my Realistic MC1000's speakers in their stock form may have well hit the landfill. They were just so lifeless and bland. After BmWr75 did a makeover on his several years ago it lit the fire under my ass. With everything that life and the economy has thrown at me it's taken this long to make them happen. RayW was instrumental in keeping me on track by offering to make my baffles. Without his help this project may have died on the vine. Thanks again, Ray!

I've been rather detailed about it all and the pair I've been building over at http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5213584&posted=1#post5213584
Well... they're finished! :banana:
PC100003 Copy.JPG
Here they are in, as BmWr75 calls them, "stealth mode":
PC1001 - Copy.JPG
I can't keep from playing them. They are just so balanced and the bass is to die for! :thumbsup:
Brian

Last edited:
Since I've finished these I've had a few friends listen and they can't believe them. One of them even remembers what they sounded like as MC1000's when I was complaining about them. As he stated, and I agree, the efficiency has not improved, generally speaking. But, the balance and imaging is completely different and bass is lower, more pronounced and punchier.

And they weigh more now. I wish now I had weighed them in their original state to compare before I took them apart.

Thanks, Ray! :trebon:

I was just looking back through all the builds and when the serial numbers were issued. I actually made a list based on RayW's serial numbers with finish dates included. I'd post if there's any interest.

To summarize and, if my data is correct, I see projects finished the last half of '08 and all the way through the end of '09... Then, with the exception of beans' 2nd cabinet in June of '10 there are NO OTHER BUILDS claimed that year! :dunno: Then going into '11 the builds start back up again (with no claims in the summer).

I don't know what it means, just think it's interesting to track. We'll see how '12 goes!

Brian

Last edited:
Zaph said that "only 3 screws on a flange this big is a bad idea." I was hoping there'd be a truncated version for that reason!

I actually thought about that when I was putting them in. Hell, I don't know why you couldn't have TWENTY 3 SCREWS on that flange... And, given the proper tooling, maybe even make them look good as well! :D

Brian

To summarize and, if my data is correct, I see projects finished the last half of '08 and all the way through the end of '09... Then, with the exception of beans' 2nd cabinet in June of '10 there are NO OTHER BUILDS claimed that year! :dunno: Then going into '11 the builds start back up again (with no claims in the summer).

I don't know what it means, just think it's interesting to track. We'll see how '12 goes!

Brian

There was the original build here which would be the 08-09 stuff and then the all the "locals" who wanted a pair had one. Then last winter the project was published in PE's Project Showcase and there was a resurgence.

Ah, yes. Forgot about that... :thumbsup: Just look at the post counts of most of them!

Last edited:
Just got a Parts Express flyer in the mail today. The drivers are on sale again until 2/29/12.

There were two GBs run by Zilch, early in this project. That explains the bulge of activity during that period. I have #35 and #36.

We miss ya Zilch!

I ran both group buys. If there was enough interest, I could do it again. 10 pairs would probably be enough to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom