mx 110 help

Hunter3141

Hello, first post here, thanks for reading.

I was lucky enough to inherit a McIntosh MX-110 and 240 amp, it was checked out by an audio repair shop a few years ago before it was given to me, it was all fine. After about 2 months of use, 30 hours of play time or so, the right channel started to fade gradually, at first I thought it was just a knob was bumped or messed with (toddlers!) but it wasn't the case. Now on stereo there is no sound from the right channel but both channels work on mono or L to LR and LR to R works as well. I've stopped using it now to save it from further damage as I know nothing about vintage gear.

I finally had a chance to check over it today and powered it up all the tubes are lit and hot, and going through all the settings I realized it works on stereo through both channels if loud is to in, I never used loud in my normal listening. This is the same for all inputs. Also tried switching L&R output to amp and then the left channel was out.

So should I not use the unit? is it something obvious I missed or is a shop visit necessary? I live in Austin so there are a couple of good tube places around just trying to save money (toddler!) Thanks for reading this post and any response you can give me
Hunter3141

You probably should eventually have all the electrolytic caps in your MX110 replaced. That said mine would often drop channels and it was simply dirty switch contacts in the two fillter switches that are probably mainly designed to reduce rumble and record noise. I eventually sprayed just a tad of deoxit on the switch contacts and that cleared up the issues.

Tubes are not likely the problem. Does it do this on all inputs? Check the small level controls above the dial on top. Rotate them. See if they respond.

Geetarpicker is on the right track. Suspect mechanical connections in the switches if a channel has gone out complete. Rock each one back and forth quite a few times. Rotate all the switch controls, too.

If that doesn't fix it, rock the preamp tubes. The contacts there can be a problem, too.

Longer term, if the electrolytic caps haven't been replaced, it isn't a matter of _if_ it will fail but _when_.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom