Mcintosh service in the North East.

Thocom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Recently picked up a fully functional, incredible condition for its age C28 preamp that was last serviced in the 80's. While I'm perfectly comfortable soldering and changing caps and testing specs on parts, the value add is by having it looked at by a certified Mcintosh service center.
I've recapped 10-12 Pioneer receivers over the years, a few Yamahas, and countless tube amps and tube radios, so replacing any out of spec parts isn't an issue, but if I decide to sell it, the value of attaching a receipt for service from a reputable shop just may be worth the investment.
To that end, who is the reputable Mc service shop? And are there any in the North Eastern part of the country? I'd prefer not to ship it.

If I do choose to refresh it myself, is there a replacement parts list anywhere? In the Pioneer section of this website, there are BOM's for purchasing all the parts needed from Mouser that makes ordering a breeze. Anything like that available for the Mcintosh?

Thanks,
Tom

There is McIntosh factory service in Binghamton, NY and you have Audio Classics in Vestal, NY. Both top notch. Audio Classics is excellent and specializes in Vintage McIntosh gear.

I second Audio Classics. I've purchased and have had McIntosh equipment repaired there. Top notch service, and to see the equipment they have in stock is worth the trip alone. :thmbsp:

There is McIntosh factory service in Binghamton, NY and you have Audio Classics in Vestal, NY. Both top notch. Audio Classics is excellent and specializes in Vintage McIntosh gear.
Yes on both...I have used and just sent (MA6100) to Terry DeWick.

Audio Classics will probably be a bit less than sending to McIntosh.

Personally, I'd think they're probably a bit more familiar with older gear than most techs at the Laboratory and they are probably quicker as well.

Just a guess...

RYAN is in charge of service at Audio Classics and the person you want to call. If you have to ship your unit and have a compromised shipping container, get one from Audio Classics its worth the investment. It might save you the price of a new glass face plate. As others have said their techs are more familiar with the old stuff the the factory. Terry Dewick does a great job, but he is only one person and the waiting times can be longer. Either way, Terry or AC will restore your C-28 to optimum performance. That said the C-28 will have issues that will be with you from now on. Heck they had issues when new. But once serviced correctly half the battles will be won. And you will be able to enjoy many hours of happy listening.

RYAN is in charge of service at Audio Classics and the person you want to call. If you have to ship your unit and have a compromised shipping container, get one from Audio Classics its worth the investment. It might save you the price of a new glass face plate. As others have said their techs are more familiar with the old stuff the the factory. Terry Dewick does a great job, but he is only one person and the waiting times can be longer. Either way, Terry or AC will restore your C-28 to optimum performance. That said the C-28 will have issues that will be with you from now on. Heck they had issues when new. But once serviced correctly half the battles will be won. And you will be able to enjoy many hours of happy listening.

I second that. 15 years of purchase/service from AudioClassics. They're top.

I second Audio Classics. I've purchased and have had McIntosh equipment repaired there. Top notch service, and to see the equipment they have in stock is worth the trip alone. :thmbsp:

Now your talkin'. Always up to see nice gear.

I am going to look in to making a visit, I'm sure there something near them that can make a weekend trip with the wife in the convertible worth the trip.

Thanks guys.

He said he didn't want to ship it. Is 165 miles and 3+hours (per Google) within his driving range?

As a matter of fact I just ran a 2125 up there today for a speaker relay contact that had been acting up.

Got to see the new C22 - what a beautiful preamplifier. :drool:

Maybe by 2030 I might be able to afford one!

I worked with Ernie yesterday and the next C22 that comes in is mine. :banana:

As a matter of fact I just ran a 2125 up there today for a speaker relay contact that had been acting up.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who is in the same boat.

I'd like to get that and two M75's but that's not in the cards.

If you're coming up during convertible season, and can make a weekend out of it, you won't be too far from the finger lakes (wine and cheese country), or Watkins Glen (nice hikes in the gorges) or auto racing at the track.

Now your talkin'. Always up to see nice gear.

I am going to look in to making a visit, I'm sure there something near them that can make a weekend trip with the wife in the convertible worth the trip.

Thanks guys.

If you're coming up during convertible season, and can make a weekend out of it, you won't be too far from the finger lakes (wine and cheese country), or Watkins Glen (nice hikes in the gorges) or auto racing at the track.

Nice area, I have driven through there going to The 1000s Island area.

Do they also sell used Mcintosh gear?

Gotta love Audio Classics:yes:. They sent me this great offer after I recently ordered some owners manuals for some of my vintage Mac gear.

Attachments

• ac offer 001.jpg
    ac offer 001.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom